pop eye HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by fishpoop, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

my regal tang now has pop eye in her one eye. it wasnt there last night. so it happend over night. however shes still eating and swimming around i dont think it is bothering to badly.

what can i/ should i do for her?

2. Click Here!

3. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I had a clown that got it to. Do you run a sump? I think my clown got it from the pump running low on water and pumping micro bubbles into the tank. But you can try this if you can get the fish out......kanamycin sulfate based antibiotics like Aquatronics' Kanacyn or Spectrogram, as well as Neomycin, and Maracyn. Put the fish in a QT if you can. Also you can try and bring down the SG a bit as i heard that can work as well or sometimes it will go away on its own..........good luck

4. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I have read that Epsom salt can work but I have never tried it, also read somewhere that that treatment was a myth, so i`m not to sure on that way to go

5. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

i cant get her out of the tank. its too hard to get her out and i cant lower the salt cause i have inverts. oooh this is so sad

6. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

Seachem has some reef safe meds that you mix with the food. I use one that cure my tank of ich, and watched my polyps eat the meds and nothing happened. I contacted seachem and within 24 hrs they sent a reply back and instructed me on what meds and that they were reef safe.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

There's already Magnesium as well as Sulphates in NSW or Artificial Sea Water. Epsom salts are for treating popeye in freshwater tanks only.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

pop eye is basically tb for a fish.

IMO its a gonna, but you never know - act swiftly with some antibiotics and you could save her!

10. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

cant get her out of the tank. its too hard to get her out and i cant lower the salt cause i have inverts

I didnt mean in your display tank, in a QT tank

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For a fish that was previously very healthy and then quickly developed popeye, that is typically indicative that they accidentally scratched their eye on a rock and now have a bacterial infection on their eye. If you feed them an excellent balanced diet supplemented with vitamins and HUFA's (Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids), they are usually fine within 4 or 5 days.

That's just what I've typically done.....your mileage may vary.

12. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

thats odd that you said that cause she did scratch her eye. i seen her do it the other night. i feed her very heathy food and besides the pop eye and the brief stunt with ich shes been fine. shes never showed signs of illness. swims happly and eats readly