Pop Eye Clownfish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by scott26, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

When I got home yesterday to feed the fishes I noticed that my small clown fish has pop eye. Not sure how it got there the other larger clown fish hasn't been bothering it from what I can tell. From what I have read it might just be a scratch on the eye and will go away after a while.

Does anyone have some first hand experience with this and could lend some advice.

I did a water change this morning with some freshly made RODI water for the first time and we will see if that helps improve him at all.

I am going to test the water and see how everything is doing when I get home since I was short on time this morning before work. (Call of Duty Black Ops)

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's trauma, whether it was self induced by scraping on a rock or from another fish is impossible to determine. If it goes away it'll take several weeks. It is possible it will never go back all the way, and the fish may just lose the eye all together. There's not much you can do; just make sure another fish isn't picking on it - be absolutely certain.

1 person likes this.
  4. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

The only other fish in there is a larger female the one with popeye is the male they have been getting along fine for the past 2 weeks so I don't think it is the other clown attacking.

1 person likes this.
  5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It comes form stress or a scratch possibly from rubbing it against a rock. as as evolved said it will go away by it self. They eye might be fine or it won't you never know and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Taking the fish out to treat it if you could would stress it out even more so you better off just letting it alone. You might want to try feeding some food soaked in garlic or in my favorite fresh ginger which might just help it heal a bit faster.

6. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I feed with garlic any other vitamins I could add to the mixture?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Checked him out today when I got home from work... his eye has gotten worse it is larger then it was this morning... I also found out my aquaclear HOB filter has been running dry since this morning... primed it and got it back running again... I also tested the water and all looks good salinity is a little high at 1.026 but not enough since I just need to add some fresh water from evap.

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Update

The eye seems to have improved it was rather large last night but this morning it seems to have stayed the same or even shrunk a little bit. He is still not eating though... I will have to really soak some food in vitamins to get him going.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

totally agree with the selcon being good stuff

one of my anthias came down with pop eye in her one eye. the male always harasses her and i feel she must have scratched it and caused the trauma since its only in one eye. as soon as i noticed it i started to add selcon in one of the feedings daily. at first the eye got worse three days of the eye getting larger and larger. it looked like it was going to explode :( the side of her face was even swollen and now its been 3 days of it going down. it looks almost normal again. and her color is returning.
    so i agree completely with adding the selcon. garlic i think your wasting your money on. i have never seen that help anything.

when i use the selcon i soak the amount of food im going to feed in it in a shot glass, my tank is 35 gallons and i use a dropper full . than dump it all in the tank after about an hour of soaking

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Even if the popeye goes away on it's own, it's still important to supplement your fish's diet with HUFAs and vitamins. This is a purchase you won't regret.