Resolved Poor poor fellow! petco rescue!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by reefnJeff, May 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

So anyways i went to petco a short while ago these Corals they had listed as Green Star Polyp $43.99, this is like the 4th time in a month I looked at them and about 70% of the colony has all but died and disappeared.
    So I talked to the manager and asked if they could or will discount them before they went in the garbage, she said she don't like to toss them, so she offered me 50% off the price, I told her I will think about it.
    So I went back an hour later and said make it 60% off and its a done deal, so I got them for $15.69, their in really bad shape but not gone, here is the catcher, I don't think their GSP, 1st, there is no purple base and their not green and to long for the GSP, I looked at them in the sun and they look to be white, i'm going to target feed them before I put them in the tank then i'll post a pic. long and maybe white with no purple base??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

You need to dip the coral before you put it in the tank if you can.
    You could post some pictures as well?

it's a good rule of thumb to never try to "rescue" things from animal stores. Sometimes it can do more harm than good.

4. reefnJeff

So what do you think, green star or not?

Attached Files:

5. reefnJeff

Thats a good rule of thumb, normally I wouldn't, but I think they still got a shot to survive, I did also give them a freshwater dip, added to their stress, but I still think they will recover. i'll post their progress.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

nope looks like anthelia or xenia

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

looks like blue clove.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

now that you say that, it could be that also! Wait until it opens up more and see.

Did the barnacles come wth the rock? If so, that is cool! I love barnacles, and then get some barnacle blennys

10. reefnJeff

that would be so cool if it was blue glove, you know when I looked at them in my car before I put them in the sun light they almost looked light blue, when in the sun more white, Blue Glove would be awesome, so would a Xenia.
    Yes the barnacles were on there and got another rock in my tank that got some big barnacles on it also, I think their cool too.

11. reefnJeff

You guys are so right, color is starting to come back to these poor guys and no doubt there is blue, in the store they looked just brown, but I knew they weren't the GSP.

Attached Files:

• blue.JPG
      blue.JPG
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Looks like Clove to me. : )