Poor lobsters @ Grocery stores :(

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by luvreefs23, May 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Anyone else ever feel like buying these guys just to save their lives? Ill never eat lobster, i seen one getting bought today...ive been told they scream when put into boiling water. At least kill em b4 boiling. Just had to vent

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

i saw a guy in my area who acctually bought like 3 of them, and said he had a 300 gallon storage thing where he stores the water, and he was going to put them in there, (i over heard when he was talking to the guy who was picking them out) haha i am nosey

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

yea serving with lemmon and butter . Ummm hmmmmm,i love it:tongue3:

I do feel sorry for'em though, they have no idea whats in store for them and
    their last days are spent looking out the glass at some fat kid screaming he wants some cup cakes, and the mom yelling at him like a wounded hippo. :yelrotflm
    As for screaming, ? ive never heard'em scream , they do wiggle a little when ya put'em in the pot..lol

1 person likes this.
  5. matt s

matt s Flamingo Tongue

From The Secret Life of Lobsters - How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean - As far as the screaming goes spiny lobsters -- the clawless sort that live in the Caribbean -- are known to have a sonic muscle, and research is underway to see if they use sound for communication in any way. But when it comes to the clawed American lobster, so far scientists have found very little evidence that the animal produces any kind of sound. That said, occasionally scuba divers in New England do report hearing an intermittent clicking sound coming from a lobster den. As for a lobster making noise during cooking, a "screaming" sound could certainly be caused by steam escaping from one of a lobster's body cavities -- well after the animal is already deceased.

Back to Matt - I realize that doesn't help any with saving their life, but at least it should help dispel the screaming rumor.

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

LOL^^ I used to work at Red Lobster in high school and I never heard one scream. Usually we would lay them on there back, stab them in the chest and cut down to the tail. Take all the guts out & steam em. They wouldn't move very long after the initial wound! I have killed dozens and IMO it is about as humane as killing an animal can get. Most animals used for consumption are "coraled" before butcher, look at cows and pigs. Nothing against your stance at all, just thought I would share my experiences with them. And yes, they do taste yummy with drawn butter!!

1 person likes this.
  7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

their our food lol.

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

But in all seriousness here,
    We take / capture to many i think really , fishing grounds are notoriously over fished now days, with the advent of *modern rader/fishing practices*

Honeslty lol, i always said the 'human population ( in the last 50 years ) has exploded .
    maybe we need a "culling" ? perhaps.

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I love crabbing and fishing. I will NOT eat anything that lives in water. YUK! JMO

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Now I'm hungry for lobster. This isn't a PETA forum the last time I checked, just people that liked keeping fish and corals kept in little glass boxes in their living rooms.
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

1 person likes this.
  12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Yes, thats why i joined PETA, so i could have a nice burger and shrimp :p