Poor little Choc Chip Starfish

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SAW39, Apr 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Two weeks ago (18 March), my 7-month-old Chocolate Chip Starfish developed white spots on the tips of one of her legs. A week later, one leg looked like she had a sunburn that had peeled and there were spots of white on another leg. The spots have gotten worse, and a few days ago some of her "Chocolate Chips" started to change color. the tips of three of her arms seem to have deteriorated. After doing a lot of reading, I think that she either:
    -- has an infection, and she's doomed :(
    -- is suffering from iodine defeciency, and could recover if treated. :-/

What do you fellow 3Reefers think? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I have started adding Kent's Iodine to the tank, and have started feeding her shrimp pieces (she's still moving around as normal and seems to be eating normally as well).

Currently, water parameters are: Temp = 80, pH = 8.2, Specific Gravity = 1.023, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20, PO4 = <0.5

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Sea stars as a whole, do not handle changes in salinity or any other water parameter, for that matter very well. Just a 1 part per thousandth change in salinity performed too fast will result in a stars demise. Changes in brands of synthetic sea salt will also affect your stars health. As is the case with your your Asteroid star(protoreaster nodosus), it is possible that a recent water change may have had something to with your stars health...One other point that may help you. NEVER, remove a star from the water, which also holds true for sponges, as they are likely to die. These are just some possibilities of what may have happened to your chocolate chip star. Yes they do require Iodine!!!as any invert does. Good job in adding iodine!

1 person likes this.
  5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks, Coral Reefer. As you guessed, I had some temperature and pH variation right about the time that the white spots showed up (probably related to a malfunctioning heater, since replaced.) But, water parameters have been stable for the past week.
    So, is she doomed? Should I post a picture?

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would remove it from your tank. Do you have a quarantine tank? You could possibly try to cut out the decaying spots and see what happens. But I would remove it from your tank so that it doesn't take anything else with it! Also read my article on Sea Stars...good luck!
    Let me see a picture of it!

7. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Here's a picture
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the top "12 O'clock arm is fine, but the 2 O'clock arm is deteriorated at the tip. The 5 O'clock and 10 O'clock arms have lesser damage. The white in the middle is a piece of shrimp that she's eating.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I see. Try to cut off the bad section and hope it recovers. You will probably lose it but it is worth a shot. Again do you have a quarantine tank to put it in, so that it doesn't pollute your tank?

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Unfortunately, I don't have a quarantine tank. I'll consider your advice about disecting the damaged area. Thanks.

11. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i'm not trying to attack any emotions you may have towards the starfish but i know of one simple solution.....

add one healthy harlequin shrimp.

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks, Jonathan. And harlequin shrimp feed on sea stars and other echinoderms! :eek:
    So, after the shrimp eats Cookie, I buy more sea stars to feed to the shrimp? Seems like an expensive solution.
    By the way, she's no worse (but not noticeably any better) today.
    If she doesn't improve by this weekend, I'll put her down. :(

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006