Pom Pom Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Peredhil, Dec 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hi everyone.

As some know, I have yet to add any coral. I will be adding my skimmer this weekend.

I have found a local person (a coworker actually) that frags constantly and is willing to trade/sell/give.

Currently he is about to give up some Pom Pom Xenia.

Two questions:

1. Is this an easy to care for coral? I'm trying to find information on them before I agree to take any. Like if I need to feed them and if so, what and how. Placement in tank (flow needs, lighting needs, etc.). Any other important info.

2. I'm adding skimmer this weekend. Should this activity make me wait some time before adding anything? I always wait between adding livestock, but not sure if I should wait after adding skimmer... Does it matter?

Thanks for any and all advise.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I say go for it..... Easy softie. In my case and your buddies, a little too easy. Hence, he's always giving it away.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

adding a skimmer will only make things better I would say add it whenever.

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

No you don't need to feed them, they like medium flow although people have kept them it low flow with no problems.They like light although they can be kept under a variety of lighting and different levels in the tank. I keep min about mid lvl to upper in my tank, I have pom poms and they seem to grow out more then up.

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Take it. Its super easy to care for. As long as you have some trace of iodine you will be just fine. Even if you don't add iodine, it will still grow like crazy.

Don't need to feed it, it just needs to get some light and some light water flow.

Some consider the pumping action of these corals as an indicator of your water quality :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

+1 go for it. Low to moderate flow, don't need to feed it, moderate lighting. If you don't follow these things they usually just won't grow as fast.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

OH WOW. I am so excited now!

Thanks everyone!

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have about 30 stalks of it! Under the right conditions it will flourish like crazy! Intense light and moderate water flow is ideal and a nitrate level around 10 will not much carbon dosing will help it as well.
    Easy coral if husbandry requirements are met...it will grow like a weed alot of times. It doesn't necessarilly need to pulsate and just because it does with your co-worker doesn't mean it will with you but could still thrive, just the same!
    Placement and water flow have alot to do with the pulsing as when I purchased mine, it was one stalk that didn't pulse. Since that time the Xenia has grown immensely but I have about 8 of them that do pulse.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I moved mine to low flow and it started pulsing much more.
    I have pom pom and the brown tip type. Where in Texas are you? People nearly give Xenia away here in the Dallas area. If you're in Dallas go here to find folks fraggin stuff:
    DFW Marine Aquarium Society :: View Forum - Sell/Trade

I got a "frag" that to me is an entire mature colony for $10. $5 is normal for a smaller frag.

1 person likes this.
  12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Dude I want one!!! If it's that easy to care for...we have yet to add any coral...me want. :D

Sounds like you got your first coral coming. Congrats! :)

1 person likes this.