Resolved polypropylene piping reef safe or not?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lawtondp, Oct 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

If you buy PVC pipe from a hardware store, the pipe (schedule 40 or 80) generally has "Potable" written on the side in black lettering. If it says potable then it is safe for use in domestic plumbing (ie. drinking water). If so, it is definitely safe to use in your aquarium. Be sure to use pvc cement that is also for use with potable PVC pipes.

2. Click Here!

3. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

If you buy PVC pipe from a hardware store, the pipe (schedule 40 or 80) generally has "Potable" written on the side in black lettering. If it says potable then it is safe for use in domestic plumbing (ie. drinking water). If so, it is definitely safe to use in your aquarium. Be sure to use pvc cement that is also for use with potable PVC pipes.

4. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

..and it really is amazingly easy to glue. I've almost never had a leak.. Some recommend 80 grade for bulkheads and immediately adjacent to pumps because of vibration causing cracks in those areas if 40 grade is used.- Paul

5. lawtondp

lawtondp Plankton

i ask some 1 at my lfs and they sed pvc is no good the salt water will eat the pipe away with in a year and it mite leach chemicals in to the water its hard i dun no wot to do now sum say its ok then sum say it wont work in there can any 1 help thanks ????

6. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

just about everyone on here uses pvc somewhere in their system. the stuff stays in landfills for who knows how many years, a little salt water will never hurt it.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Totally agree. While I'm sure not everybody uses PVC, most do. I use it for my plumbing to and from my sump. I bet you my overflow box is also made of PVC and my power heads. Things break down because they react with other compounds and elements. Some compounds are very stable, say gold or the best example styrofoam (which may actually contain pvc, but I'm not sure on that one). Most metals will interact with salt water readily and cause them to corrode and release elements into the water. Plastics are very stable and will not react with most things, although they are combustible. PVC is just a type of plastic that is used in countless products from clothing to piping and cars. I would have to say its pretty safe to use in your aquarium.