Poly-Fil Polyester

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ryland, Sep 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I run both a filter pad and filter floss in my sump. I am getting sick of paying the high price for the filter floss and filter padding. Tonight while in wal-mart I bought some Poly-Fil 100% premium polyester fiber fill. The stuff appears to be exactly the same as any filter floss from a LFS. It states it is "non-allergenic" and is "all new material consisting of polyester fiber". For one pound of this stuff I paid $2.46. I also bought some poly-fil traditional polyester quilt batting. It also states it is non-allergenic and is made of 100% polyester only. This batting or soon to be filter pad was about 10 bucks for a 6'x6' roll. Before I run off throwing this into my tank does anybody have any experience with this stuff? I am trying to be cautious but I am tired of the high expenses. Thanks;D

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

There has got to be some filter DIY'ers on here

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i actually used some of that in my tank once. Worked ok, but I was not overly impressed. Some of the polyfil has sizing in it, which will make skimmers go crazy. Make sure you rinse well prior to using it

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Would really like some input before I start using this stuff

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

How come you are paying a lot for filter pads? You can get a 1'x5' of 200micron filter floss for about $10 and they are washable and reusable? One sheet should last you a year or so

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Its not really a filter pad. Its more like a filter cloth. I use both a filter cloth and filter floss in my filtration. Both can get expensive over time. From all the research I have done the consensus seems to be these are reef safe and they are the same thing you buy at a LFS but dont have that expensive name brand you pay for.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

What do you mean by "sizing"? I go through a lot of filtration media due to a large fuge loaded with macros and critters. I change weekly and I dont like to rinse and reuse. It never seems to hold up.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Anybody else? I think I will wait until I have a day off so I can be home to monitor the situation in case something goes bad.

12. Danny_B

Danny_B Plankton

Ive used the stuff in my freshwater and planted tanks for about 7 years now...use it to this day...i am setting up my first reef tank and i will use it once in a while for mechanical... its pretty inert...