Plywood top of stand how thick should it be?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Stingray, May 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I just built my own stand 40" long to hold a 30" long tank giving me 5" extra each side, problem is how thick should the plywood on top be, at present I have used 1/4" plywood but I'm scared it's not thick enough before I paint it, I used it this thin to save on weight, the tank is glass rimless with side panels resting on bottom
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I would put two cross beam 2x4's where the trim of the tank is going to sit before I put the wood on top. And use a higher quality plywood maybe 1/2" and seal it really well with some paint/stain or something because plywood gets soft and warps easier when its wet. Even better would be to use a nice solid plank on top instead of plywood. But 1/4" alone would scare the crap out of me if it were my tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The weight of the tank should be supported by it's perimeter. Nothing is needed in the center, and could cause more harm than good. The most important factor is to level the stand with no twist in it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stingray

Thanks for reply, the top frame is made of 2x4 lumber 40"x22" plus 2 19" pieces secured in the middle, i have read that a glass tank needs no support other then the edges and corners of the bottom of the tank supported by the 2x4 frame alone, so im some what confused, if this is the case then what does it matter how thick the plywood is,

But because the stand is longer then the tank its mainly supported by the rear and front 2x4 there is no support on the right or left of tank, but i have positioned a support leg on the middle rear.

6. Stingray

Thanks,
    it sure is confusing, but the tank stands flat, no wobble , and the spirit level is between the lines on all angles.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

^ +1,000- And Jerry (barbianj) has build some stands

If you'll notice, most store built stands for glass tanks are open in the middle.
    I have built a stand for my 180, it has a few crossbraces acorss the top, and is otherwise open in the middle on top also.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I used 3/4", but it may be overkill.

1 person likes this.
  10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

So it sounds like the tank trim is already supported by 2x4,s. I was under the impression that the 2x4,s were not under the tank and the plywood was going to hold the weight of the tank.

11. Stingray

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I took a look and posted in that thread.

If the tank's perimeter is over the frame, ply or not, it's OK.

If the tanks perimeter is supported by the ply, which is then beyond the perimeter supported by the frame- change it, the perimeter has to be supported by the frame.
    IMHO, you could leave the ply anyways, if the DT's perimeter is directly over the supprt frame.