Ply Wood Tank Help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kramfinz, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

The rod will be fine, (I've actuially used stainless cable on a BowFront tank that had it's brace destroyed. However, I'd caution you about the material you use. It' obviously can't be just any type of metal, and any coated metal needs to be UV resistant.

I am in the process of building my first. - I haven't had the $ to build one until now, and still it's slow going... :-(

But I have personally been involved in the building of 4, and my friends have build many more. And I am a mod on a site which specialized in plywood builds, and friends with someone who's plywood builds are known throughout the hobby. I've learned alot this way. Also paying close attention to other builds, as well as personal experience. I'd encourage you to check out the site I posted before. There is a plywood forum there that has many many years of experience. I no longer post there as I have had a disagreement with the one who actually runs the site. But it's still a great site for this type of thing.

2. Click Here!

3. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

Duly noted. It's ashame you live so far away from me. I noticed on your profile that you are out of work. I would have paid you to come over and help me build mine. I'm a little nervous about doing it. I will take my time and certainly don't wanna f&*$ it up. I would be out about 800 bucks and my wife would probably be livid.

4. JasonSquared

I guess I have to update my profile :") I currently work in the Health Insurance industry...

If you have even a minor amount of wood working skill it's not that difficult at all...

5. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

I have no doubts about the build itself, it's the epoxy part and sealing of the tank i'm a little worried about. I think I've already asked you this but I don't think I got a response. The West system epoxy, is it the can that has 105 on it? When I start building I'll post w/ pics along the way. Probably going to be a couple-3 months before I start. Have to finish the room, Install french doors and build a deck first to keep wifey happy.

6. JasonSquared

The epoxy is really pretty foolproof. Don't stress it. If you have questions, just call the manufacturer, they're pretty receptive to answering them. Most around us have used the MAS, but one guy has used the West and has had no trouble with it I personally can't speak from experience and would refer you to the manufaturer as to which resin and hardener to use. Also FWIW I will be using 5050 epoxy due to it being a bit cheaper and similar numbers as far as strength. The MAS is the best for strength according to the numbers. But the differences are minor really...

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

5050 epoxy/ got a link?

I am just about to get my plywood tank under construction and I need to determine how much, and what epoxy to use.

I see mas is not bad from defender, whom I have used in the past when I re did the interior and reinforced my ski boats stringers.

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

Yeah MAS is probably the best due to it's strength and the rigidity that it adds to the over all tank. 50/50 is great too, but not as strong. I'm sure that both are WAY overkill as far as strength goes, but as I've stated before, here is where your money is buying piece of mind. You buy the right epoxy, and you'll never worry about it.

10. JasonSquared

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Jason, that 5050 epoxy sure looks to be the same as the clark craft epoxy. Same exact verbage, and price too.

Pretty sure I will use us composites epoxy with the sweetwater topcoat for my build.