Plumbing suggestion needed (transfer water 50ft)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by rgoedhart, Mar 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rgoedhart

rgoedhart Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

All,

My water source is approximately 45 ft in linear length away from my mixing bucket/sump/filter closet... My ceilings are approximately 8 ft high.

I am playing with the idea of having my RODI filter put water in a 44-gal container near the sink and then adding a second 44-gal container in the sump room.

In order to not have to manually transfer (or mess with hoses every time) the water from point A to point B, I would like to run a hose through the ceiling and have a pump to transfer the water whenever I need it to be transferred..

This would make my life infinitely easier and would eliminate a lot of messing around with buckets and what-not.

Questions: Has anyone done this or something similar?
    I am no way worried about my ability to run the hose, but do you see any downside on this?

What type of pump would I need to transfer water to point B
    The water would go 8ft high, then 45ft straight across and then 8 ft down.
    I would be ok with an ultimate flow rate of ~100-200 GPH (more would be nice)

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Why not run the RODI line straight to the sump room?

4. rgoedhart

Devin, I feel that running the RODI output line 8ft high and 50 ft across would inhibit the flow/volume even more.. already barely getting anything out of it (25psi)... Plus the 2 barrels will give me additional volume I can work with when needed!

5. ClownAquatics

ClownAquatics 3reef Sponsor

First you should check to see about why you are only getting 25psi from your RO.

What type of pressure do you normally have? Simply get a pressure gauge from Home Depot on put on a hose spout and test your actual pressure. If you are running a decent pressure from your water supply then your RO is not functioning properly. I had an issue with an RO where the carbon block needed to be changed and the pressure went from 30 to about 65.

8 foot of head on an RO is not a problem. Horizontal runs do not increase the head and of course down into a pail is nothing but gravity.

I would first investigate why your RO is only pushing 25psi. Once you get that fixed, whether you need a booster pump or change of cartridges.

Then just run the RO line the 50 feet or so. You will not have an issue.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

25 psi is not optimal for your rodi. You need a booster pump ASAP. You can always T the line off and install valves to go to what barrel you'd like. I don't believe it will inhibit flow whatsoever.

7. rgoedhart

2nd question on that then..

Should I put the RODI unit closest to the water source and run the output (blue) line 30ft or so to the filter/sump room..

or

Should I put the RODI unit in the filter/sump room and run 30ft black & red lines (waste/input) back to the water source/drain...

8. Click Here!

9. ClownAquatics

I would put the RO near the water source and run the good water line to the container. Much less lines needed

10. rgoedhart

and none of you see a problem with running that 8ft up in the air and 30-40 ft across?

Sounds like a good solution to me :)

11. ClownAquatics

No remember that horizontal runs do not effect head.

You will not have an issue. But like we said earlier you need to do something about your 25psi.

12. rgoedhart

absolutely will.. Thank you for the information:) nice and quick.. love these communities