Plumbing help

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kevin_E, Dec 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My overflow is causing me to pull my hair out. There is a water fall sound coming from the PVC down to the sump. This is not a waterfall sound coming from the overflow box itself as tank water fills into it. This is a rushing sound within the pipe itself.

Any suggestions on how to cork this obnoxious plumbing?

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Does it happen constantly, or is it a cyclic "flushing" sound?

Are you using a low noise type of standpipe (Durso, Stockman, etc)?

Does your drain empty above or below the water level in your sump?

4. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Does your overflow allow air to get inside the pipe? If so that could cause some noise. As greg said letting the water empty under the water level of the sump will help as well. I don't have a lot of experience with overflows though so others may give better advice.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have a stockman pipe that prevents that gurgling. My overflow pipe is below the sump water level.

7. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Ok so looked around a bit. Let me know if any of these suggestions help.

Being a waterfall sound it may not be running enough water to completely fill the drain pipe with water (if that makes sense). You could add a 45 degree fitting to the bottom of the drain pipe to add a little resistance to the falling water allowing it to fill up a little more. Which would then in turn keep the draining water from falling as far. You could add a second 45 degree fitting to add a little more resistance or to make the drain pipe straight down again.
    EDIT: An inline ball valve would do the same thing and could be adjusted.

If the standpipe is sucking trapped air into the drain pipe (which is still a possibility). You can try making the vent hole in the top cap bigger. You can also make a silencer for the top cap by glueing another cap (with hole drilled in it and filled with cotton) on top of it.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Drill the hole in the cap just large enough to slip a short piece of vinyl airline tubing down into the standpipe a couple inches with the other end hanging so it does not get into the water and sucks air. Slowly work the airline tubing up and down until the flow increases and the sound decreases. It will be quite noticable when you hit the exact sweet spot.