Plecostomus question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Brittle84, Mar 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brittle84

Brittle84 Plankton

Hi everyone. I hope there are enough freshwater people out there to help me!! I have a 36 gallon corner fish tank. I have 3 tiger barbs, 2 danios, 3 gouramis, a knight goby, and a plecostomus. We got the pleco because after about 3 weeks or so the back glass was so dirty with algae, that you couldn't even see the reflection of the plants. It wasnt green algae, it was white, looking in on it. He got rid of all the algae in a matter of a couple of days. Anyway, I have found out by reading things on the internet that my pleco will definately outgrow my tank. Is there anything else that I could put in my tank to help with the algae? Eventually, we may have to either sell the pleco when he gets too big, or just give him to someone with a big tank. I really like him and don't want to give him away, but I dont want him to feel cramped. Plus, I think he is really contributing to my extremely HIGH levels of ammonia, even though the water is clear and all my fish look fine and are at the appropriate levels of the tank (gouramis at mid to top level, goby mid to low level, danios mid level, pleco bottom, and barbs mid to low level.) I would appreciate any help on this!! Thanks!!;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. matt s

matt s Flamingo Tongue

My pleco shares a 55 with an oscar, been there two years now and he just got to a decent size and never got bigger so everything works fine. They are crappin machines though.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Well, if your aquarium is only 3 days or around a week old, then the ammonia is due to the aquarium still being in its cycling stage (this will take around 4-8 weeks to complete depending on your filtration system). Add something like cycle / stability, to help with the cycle, and do 25%-50% water changes w/o touching your filtration media 1-2 time a week.As you already have too many fish for a new system, thats the best regiment for keeping the cycle going and preventing fish death. You can also run things like chemi-pure filters and/or polyfilters to help with those waste levels.

as for different species. I would recommend chinese algae eaters, golden algae eaters, dwarf plecos such as bristle nose plecos, and horse face loaches. There are also otocinclus, which are great, but they max out at 1" and wouldnt mix too well with semi-aggressive fish like gouramis and tiger barbs.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Pleco will get certainly get big but it will take him some time to do it. He should be okay in a 36 for quite some time. Enjoy him and when it comes time take him to you LFS and trade him for another one.

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Not all Plecos will out grow your tank, keep looking around. Also, even the ones that get big, you can put to work for a few years then put them up for adoption when they grow too. big.

My Chineese algae eater in 12 months old and is still only 2.5 " long and very small. I suspect the same would be true after 3 years. He is a good eater and doesn't bother anyone right now.

Plenty of small ones out there.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=998

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Candy Stripe Pleco (L-137)

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Tiger Pleco (L-02)

\Cheers

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

What kind of Pleco are you talking about?
    Clowns, Bristlenose and Gold Nuggets stay rather small!

8. Click Here!

9. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

I had a pleco for about 18 years that just died a few months ago. He was about 1' 6" long. He'd had many different tank mates over the years too. He fit pretty comfortably in the 30 gallon for all those years.

10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

with a 36 gal you should be kool with the pleco for good long time, but he wont eat algea for ever as they get bigger they need more. my last pleco was eating the feeders for my clown knife.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had my pleco in a 20 for a long time until I gave him away. Never had any problems.... Did feed him zuchinni.....

12. icedgxe

icedgxe Spaghetti Worm

I agree with others. I have 2 bristlenose plecos and they are great. They max out at around 5" and take care of any algae growing. I also have a candy stripe in another tank and love it also.