Urgent pleco issues

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by edom86, Mar 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. edom86

edom86 Plankton

im having some issues in my tank right now... not sure what to do but besides all of that crap... im most worried about my pleco. he has been sitting in the same spot for 2 days not and he is pooping in one area. im not sure whats going on with his belly but ill attach a picture

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

does he eat at all?

do you have ammonia in the water?

what are his tank mates?

how big is the tank?

and what are your matince habits for the tank?

he may not move LOL mine never did he just sat in his log untile I droped an alge flake into the aquarium ;D

4. edom86

edom86 Plankton

i have never seen him eat anything, im assuming he is because hes pooping alot... you can see the pile in the pics... and i had alot of algae in the tank thats why i got him. he has 3 goldfish as tank mates... the ratty looking one of the group is the healthy one, my black one is going through some ick i think... im not sure i did ick guard and then melafix and then pimafix... which pimafix seems to be helping but besides the spots on him he is very healthy and active. my calico has a little bit of what seems to be hemorrhagic septicemia? on his head.... i cant tell you how many water changes i have done. the black one is quarrantied and the 2 goldfish are in with the pleco. i did a 50 to 60% water change bacause my husband dumped the ph readings with the drops back into the tank... duh.... so the calicos red spot seems to be getting better... it was there last week and i did a water change and it went away then this week it came back again.... i am going to take pics of all this fish and check the water levels while this is posted... hopefully its not too confusing

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

no, not at all I would just wait and try to make them comfortable you might be over reacting :D but you care so its all good ;D

6. edom86

edom86 Plankton

well its like everytime i check the water in the tank the ph is way off i checked it last night at it was 6.2 so i added ph up. the nitrates were fine but the nitrites were in the stress to danger level like between 3.0 and 5.0.the hardness was about 75 ppm which is soft... not very soft not very hard (btw, is what should the hardness be?) the alkalinity was low like 0
    now i just checked the levels.... i used the 5 in 1 quick test strips and the nitrate is good the nitrite is good and the hardness is at 75 which is still soft, the alkalinity is still at 0! and the ph is 6.8

7. edom86

edom86 Plankton

now the black one in these pics im not sure whats happening.... it looks like ick but its on the lateral line right by the gill cover. for the most part its going away and its on both sides right about at the same spot

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. edom86

edom86 Plankton

the calico one his spot on his head is still there slightly its right above the gill cover... but what im wondering is do i have to take him out to treat him? can i leave him in the regular tank and just add the meds? or will it hurt the other fish? i know scaleless can only tolerate 1/2 a regular dose so what if i just did a 1/2 dose in the whole tank... do you think that will hurt the other fish or pleco??

Attached Files:

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

wow, I hope you have some massive filtration for that tank- you have two of the "dirtiest" fish there are for fresh water types. I hope you do water changes ....often.

however, if it is ick- raise the tank tempreture up to 82 or so- leave it that way for a solid day- then let it come back down- do a 50% water change- then wait a few days- see what happens. adding an air stone would also be wise at this time.

kick ick works very well- if this doesnt work- consider it.