pleco changes color????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by oakvad, Oct 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So i have a pleco in one of my tanks hes about 7 inches long and changes color. Not sure if this is normal or what. Hes just like a chameleon only i think he changes with his mood. He also comes out to eat when i feed my oscars, he loves blood worms and telapia, Heres a pic when he changes to white. normal color is of course dark with black spots

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Mine does same Oavad, had it 3 years now and it tends to vary its colour depending where it is- when its on the back glass I can see its all over dark colour, when its on the gravel its mottled like yours is (natural camouflage)

Steve

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Its a camouflage kind of thing. All plecs do it. I have 3 in my 125g and all of them do it.

5. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

well thats good to know just never heard of it or seen it before. thanks for the info guys

6. vansdonk

vansdonk Plankton

Mine is red.

I have one that was very dark when we got him and now he is red. Eats anything floating in the tank, flakes, bloodworms, etc. Our gravel is red and so is the driftwood, so I think that caused it.

7. Dalesh

Dalesh Plankton

Yes they do change color.

Sometimes it's a sign of stress due to poor water quality, but more often than not they would change color just to hide, or if they are in a bad mood.