Please tell me its not ich!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by beamer, Sep 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

The main thing I need help on is as I previously stated , I have a 6 gl tank and a 10 gl tank. For just the 6 wks of QT how many fish can I put in each of those tanks? The tangs will go in the tub. When using the tub what is the best way to set it up for that 6 wk period?

How can I be sure that my tang really has ich. The spots are so tiny. My husband says he doesn't see any spots but maybe the 2-3 he saw the other day. He doesn't think it has ich. He said when he had FW fish they had ich and it doesn't look like it to him. If it isn't ich then what is it? He thinks I'm crazy for wanting to QT the fish for 6 wks and is giving me a bit of a hard time about it. He says I'm just obcessing about it.

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I would obsess on it too.
    Sorry I can't help much with QT tanks, next to zero experience there.
    Personally, I might try to get some cleaner shrimp and give the liquid garlic some more time rather than doing something more stressful.
    If it's justs a few spots and stays that way, that might be the way to go. Maybe it's some other type of parasite that is less harmful. (hmm maybe want to look those up..)

I've seen full blown ich and it's nasty. That's probably why your husband is more sure since he remembers that too. Hard to say! I'll see if I can find anything that helps you better than me. :p

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks Matt!

I've been reading and reading. From what I've read it sounds like it could be ich even though its not full blown. I'd rather not QT them because 6 wks is an awfully long time, but if it is ich then when I move my tank that would be the perfect time to QT them.

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=ASAP;num=1095992957;start=30#37 date=09/27/04 at 19:03:12]Has your BTA been like that for a while? Or is it a recent thing?[/quote]

You were right Matt. It looks like the deal with my BTA was that it was spliltting. I wonder if it will split more than once?  Its kind of funky looking.  I guess that means I'm a new Mommie!:D

Cindy

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=ASAP;num=1095992957;start=30#44 date=09/28/04 at 22:01:21]Post pics and congrats![/quote]

I'll try a little later on. They are asleep back inside the cavern right now. The babies need their sleep!

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=beamer link=board=ASAP;num=1095992957;start=30#43 date=09/28/04 at 18:58:30]

You were right Matt.  It looks like the deal with my BTA was that it was spliltting. I wonder if it will split more than once?  Its kind of funky looking.  I guess that means I'm a new Mommie!:D

Cindy
    [/quote]

Awesome! 8) 8) 8) Now you need another tank! ;D

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=ASAP;num=1095992957;start=45#46 date=09/29/04 at 11:58:17]

Awesome!  8) 8) 8) Now you need another tank!  ;D
    [/quote]

My husband would love that. He says he'd like to have a lion fish. Only problem is there is no more room for another tank.

Cindy

11. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

When you transfer your fish into QT I would buy some PVC pipe to use for shelter. I'm sure you are aware that anything porous will absorb copper and then will leach back into the tank. You definitely don't want your LR in there. I also heard that foxface's are sensitive to copper so you may want to avoid using it.

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks somethingfishy!

I didn't know about the foxface. I knew the tangs were not to have copper and I didn't know if a foxface was considered a tang or not. Maybe a close relative? I don't know. I did buy a real large pvc tube that would be plenty big for the hippo to hide in.

I'm still am not reall sure that my tang has ich. You can't even see anything tonight except for 2 tiny tiny specks. She eats like a pig and seems just as happy and whimsical as ever. With 20 fish you would think that some of the others would have it also if it were ich. It makes me wonder if I really do need to QT all of my fish. It will probably wind up stressing me out more than them. I feel sorry for the guy on this board that just had his tank wipped out by ich.

Cindy