Please tell me its not ich!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by beamer, Sep 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Hi craig! (I found out why I lost site. a "," was in the link name...hehehehe)

@Cindy - I also have a Hippo and it's a wonderful active creature. I lost all clowns that went with it and a Lamarck Angel all because I did not QT.

Best bet is to QT before introducing a fish. But I really seldom do this.

Anyway, the Hippo and a Fairy Wrasse, a FoxFace Rabbit and a Lemon Damsel all surivived the ich infestation. I simply used garlic and maybe someday soon will add a Lysmata Amboinensis. These two (garlic and cleaner shrimp) can help us in a tank which is already established and is having a bad ich day/s.

Good luck. If the hippo is feeding well (you do feed your hippo 3x a day in small portions right?) and their food treated with garlic, the fish will do fine.

Btw i use garlic oil in gel capsules because they are easier to mix with food. Puncture capsule and drip oil into the food. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Good one John. Was the last link in my prior post. Great minds think alike, eh?

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Craig,

My understanding is that the parasite spends most of the time ither in the rock/sand, swimming or under the fishes 'skin'. I'm not sure, if the above is correct, that any sort of cleaner shrimp could help.

John

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=ASAP;num=1095992957;start=30#33 date=09/26/04 at 20:24:20]Good one John.  Was the last link in my prior post.  Great minds think alike, eh?[/quote]

OOPs Sorry :-[ I didn't see that ;) ;D .......... John

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hi Craig! Thanks for the links and yes I have quickly read through them. That was a lot of good reading and I have printed off a lot of it.

I'm hoping to get my tank moved in a few weeks so I think what I will do is use a fresh water dip when I remove the fish and then put them into QT. I will be replacing all of the sand that I have now. I don't know that it would even be wise to keep a cup of old sand to seed the new and risk infection again. Would you agree?

I've got to figure out the best way to do this. Tangs can not tolerate the copper treatment so I will need to have my three in a separate container. Is a Fox face considered a Tang?

I have a little 10 gl tank that I am using as a QT. I don't know how many fish I can keep in there. The fish I have are listed at the bottom of my post. I also have a 6 gl tank with a Beta . I could always move him into a bowl. At least with these 2 little tanks I will have a filter. So again, how many fish can I put in the 6 gl and how many in the 10 gl. I have bought two tubs, one for the tangs and one other for what ever is left.

How do I set up these tubs? What all do I use? What do I do for a filter? I bought a little pump with tubing and a couple or air stones. Will that work ok? I have a couple of extra heaters around somewhere that the previous owner had. I don't know if they work or not.

I went back to the store and got Kyolic liquid. What I bought before was extract in a cap. but it was powder. They didn't like it much. For that matter they didn't like the fresh garlic either and the fresh garlic is suppose to be the best because of the allicin according to one of your articles. They really like the food soaked in the Kyolic liquid. The Tangs seemed to look better. You could still see some spots or see where they had been. I was thrilled about that . This afternoon the Tang seems to have a few more but still very tiny and she looks, acts and eats well.

My BTA looks pretty pittiful. Maybe he's not taking to the garlic too well? What do you think.

Cindy

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Has your BTA been like that for a while? Or is it a recent thing?
    All the same, glad your fish seem a little better.
    Hey, FYI, when you get your tank settled, I found cleaner shrimp from Premium Aquatics for $15. With shipping that still might be cheaper than the $25 your store wanted.

11. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks Matt! I'll check into the shrimp. My LFS sold those two anyway.

The deal with my BTA is very recent-like tonight. His foot is right inside the cavern which is in the middle of my reef . He's always out and covers a large area. When I came in tonight he was inside the cavern and then apart of him was on another side of a rock. It almost looks as though a rock fell on part of him although none of the rocks look as though they have moved to me. I think his tentacles found and opening and part of him went through it. If he is still like that tomorrow I'll take down the rock in that area just in case he is hung up or maybe a rock twisted just enough to pinch him down. To tell you the truth, he's gotten so big I almost wish i did not have him but then my Clarki clown surely would miss him and he looks awfully cute in it.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Huh. Maybe he's gotten so big, he's decided to split - in two! :)

I remember stressing every time my old Ritteri would deflate. But it was always a temporary thing. Could be grumpy or about to expel waste.