Please ID fleshy 'mass' on LR

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by BJT, Jul 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BJT

BJT Plankton

Hi,

I've been cycling 8kg of live rock for a week now, and only just came across this bizarre fleshy mass protruding out of the side of one of the rocks. The rock itself is quite porous, and this thing seems to have grown right through the interior from end to end, in a cylindrical shape as far as I can tell. It's a dark blue / mauve colour. Oh, and the light purple part is where I accidently scraped it with a turkey baster :((it's how I realised it wasn't actually rock in the first place!) Any help ID'ing it would be a big help, because so far I've come up empty handed trying to ID it myself.

While I'm at it, I should also mention the green/yellow/orange encrusting growth on the underside of the rock as well. It is in an area that receives minimal lighting, and has been growing rapidly. Is it some form of encrusting sponge? I'm feeling pretty ignorant right now, but I have to say, this hobby never ceases to amaze and captivate me at every turn.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

It looks like some kind of tunicate, though could be some kind of die off, it is hard for me to tell really, don't know what you refer to. there is something kind of whitish and something other gray/blue like you mention

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My guess is a type of sponge.

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

looks like sponge to me

6. BJT

BJT Plankton

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I'll never really know what this thing was, as it did not survive the tank's cycle. I was leaning towards it being a sponge of some kind, as the piece of LR it was on has a couple of other encrusting sponges, all of which are still doing quite well. Oh well, such is life, I guess.