Please help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Dec 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I just got home from work and the furnace shut off in the night the tank temp went from 80' to 74' what do I do?
    PLEASE HELP
    Is everything going to die? :-X :-X :-X

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

O.K. I got the furnace running and turned on the lights on the tank I know I shouldn't feed the tank for like a day after the temp returns right?
    But what about additives stay on schedule or not?
    This is so bad!!!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No worries. Stay on schedule. 74 is not bad. Even for a while. :)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

David,

If you think about it, in shallow reefs it is not uncommon for cold fronts to move in and change the temperatur downward in the reef several dergrees. If you look at reef tempuratures aronfd the world they can swing 8 - 10 fergrees annually.

The tank temp dropped fairly slowly so your fish probably had time to acclimate. You may wanr to get a higher wattage heater that can hold the temp better, just a thought.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow how cold did your house get? To help put your mind at rest when your tank inhabitants are shipped in they usually include heat packs in the carton. a heat pack helps hold the temp but won't heat the box so I wouldn't worry as long as it was a slow drop. I would definitely follow Craigs advice about upgrading the heater. In fact what I would suggest is 2 heaters either one large enough to maintan the tank so if the furnace fails again AND you lose a heater you still have one to maintain proper temp. I also feel in climates that are cold (Chicago guy here) 2 heaters work less hard then 1 and saves wear and tear.

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

WOW!
    Thanx guys,
    For easeing my mind I thought I was tottally bummin'.As for heaters I have two in the tank already a 150 watt ebo jagger and a 200 watt askoll. Do you think I should get a 250 watter?
    Everything looks good now except my hammer coral but he's been lookin' kinda bad for a while. I can't seem to make him happy ever since he fell off the rock. I move him around every 5-6 days to see if I can find a spot that he likes.I was moving him too much at first that didn't help but I really fear for him do you guys think a coral dip would help him he looks ok but dosen't expand much and at the end of the day he looks shriveled up round the edges which in this case would be better too much currant or too little currant?

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Well everything seems to be fine everybody looks good the anemone well one of them regergetated it's food but I don't know which one? but they both look good today