Please help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 3lilbrats, Jan 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Thanks again,

Now I have to figure out how and when to add more sand to my tank. I need to do it in order to hide some "egg crate" work I did to raise my LR but I don't want to disturb the fish. I guess is going to stay like that for a while. or can I use a brand new siphon(long), you know, the kind you use to pour oil in your car? and syphon the sand thru it right where I need it want it)

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That may work ok, maybe shut off anything moving water while doing it! or maybe get it wet ahead of time with tank water and then do that or scoop it where ya need!

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

No matter what your water will get atleast a little cloudy, the method i have seen many use successfully is taking a piece of pvc the depth of the tank and a funnel and slowly pouring it through straight to the bottom, also ive heard of people filling pvc and holding horizontal until you reach the bottom and then slowly pour or also filling a zip lock bag with the sand and bringing it to the bottom and slowly pouring....turn off your skimmer until it clear and if you have some kind of mechanical filtration leave it on and it will help clear the tank more quickly.

wrasses tend to hide for long periods of time so I'd give it atleast a week before pronouncing it dead, I have a horse shoe crab who buries himself for as long as a week at a time where i won't see him even at night(they're semi noctornal) and a reef lobster who only comes visible under a ledge at night sometimes

5. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

thank you guys!

Is been a week and I have not seen it once since but, there's nothing I can do, I'll let my tank mature some more and in a month or two I'll probably add another wrasse.

6. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Hi there, your amonia and nitrate most likely jumped up because you are severely over feeding your fish. You can't just put in a whole cube of food one day and then skip a day or two of feeding. With only 4 fish in there (if I remember correctly) you should not feed more than 1/4 of a cube per day. put the rest in the fridge in a sealed container until you use it all up. A good way to tell is only put in as much food as your fish will completely consume in 2 minutes. (exceptions would be mandarins since they are just slow eaters) If it's way quicker that 2 minutes, feed a little more, if it's longer than 2 minutes, cut back next time. Also your PH is a little low, it should be kept between 8.1 and 8.3 so if you have a ph stabilizer, add some accordng to the label. Hope your fish is doing better :)

7. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

My params are better now. I have to go and get some buffer for my PH and bring it up. Any recomendations?
    What else can I do to keep my livestock happier and healthier? I have no corals yet but I'm planning on it.

Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Ok, so I had my water tested by my LFS and all params are good

salinity at 1.023
    ph at 8.1
    NO2 and NO3 at 0
    and we also checked phosfates at it was on the low end but I put some Phos buffuer on my filter

still no sign of the fish and it has been 3 weeks almost.

I know my tank is doing pretty good as of water conditions and life on it. I got red and pink coraline and I even have some pods that I dont know how or when they got there.

10. rootfish

rootfish Plankton

hey i got something that might fix your problem !

11. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

What would that be?

12. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Well, you probably already have one now, but the PH buffer I've been using is Kent's marine superbuffer dkh. It seems to work well but next time I may try one with calcium in it :)