please help with fungus

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ziggy222, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

this is my gsp with a fuzzy white fungus.idk what caused it but i had it before and it spread and killed alot of gsp.it effecta no other corals in my tank.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just looks like sponge to me. Sponge can/will kill corals. Alot of the polyps that are poking through are probably still alive and can be saved. Scrape it off.

4. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Not that this is my post but I was just about to get on here and ask the same type of question. I also have some GSP that looks kinda like this but it isn't a sponge, the GSP is just fading away leaving a bare spot. I do have some polyps that have a black sponge on it that looks like it wants to take over. I thought I got rid of it the first time but now it is back. Is there a way to get rid of sponge without removing it from the water so it dries out. It is in the middle of the bunch. I will go get pics!

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

its fuzzy and i can blow it off the gsp but it grows back.last time it did'nt kill all of the gsp and they grew back.now that its all grown back,its back again

6. cannedmulder

[​IMG]
    Heres mine. It started like yours with something on it but that disappeared and left a hole. I would think sponge would keep growing!

[​IMG]Heres the other. Sorry for the blurry, the lights were off so couldn't get really focused. But you can see the greyer area. That is black sponge!

7. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have the same issue with one of my GSP patches. It hasn't been coming out for about 3-4 days now. I can blow the white stuff off with a turkey baster but it comes back. My other GSP's are ok atm. I had this happen a couple months ago and I just left it alone and after about a week it came back so that's what I was going to do this time. I've heard that GSP's can just do this sometimes... ?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's not sponge.

That coral should be dipped quickly. Depending on how long it has been spreading, you might even need to go to Potassium Permanganate or Hydrogen Peroxide.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i cannot remove the rock from the tank.it is not an option so i guess i'll just do what i did before.i'll blow the stuff off as often as possible.alot will die and i'll wait for the gsp to grow back.

11. cannedmulder

ARe you talking that Ziggys isn't a sponge? or mine? What about the sponge on my polyps? Should I start my own thread so I don't take over someone elses post?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, Ziggy's isn't a sponge

Yours appears to be so