Please help with a suggestion for LED lights for 36" long by 13 high tank

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by eddie2OOO, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddie2OOO

eddie2OOO Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just got me a new NUVO 24 Gallon tank
    Innovative Marine
    Beautiful tank! But now I need to get the right lights for it. I am very new to lighting systems as I am graduating from a 6 gallon pico reef with a couple of T5's to looking into LEDs. I do not want to spend another $500 on the lights company suggests. And other lights that I am looking at (in under $250) that are 36" long are designed for higher tanks. As I've mentioned tanks dimensions are as follow – 36 x 13 x 9.5 (I know unusual - which is what makes my choices a bit difficult) I was initially looking at 'Marineland 36" Reef Capable LED Lighting System – With Timer' for $250 Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System - WITH TIMER Aquarium LED Light Fixtures but after reading very negative reviews for providing yellowish tones and not providing enough light and being discouraged by my LFS for burning corals because of direct beams decided to find an alternative. I mostly have softies (a large frogspawn, a few torches, a hammer, a large candy cane and the rest are zoas.) If you can recommend a brand or a specific model or even intensity and the temperature that I should be looking for, please let me know. Thank you all for looking.

Ed

2. Click Here!

3. eddie2OOO

One more thing - i am looking at a used AquaticLife 36in 54 1W LEDs for $125. Any thoughts?

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As you thought, stay far, far away from the Marineland lights. That's all I will say about that.

With the dimensions of your tank, the best option is really to build a DIY fixture. There are plenty of members who have made their own which you should be able to find by searching to give you some ideas. You can get the leds, heatsinks, wiring, drivers, etc. from places like Rapidled.com, stevesleds.com, ledgroupbuy.com, etc.

5. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

For your tank dimensions DIY might be the best way to go. But this might work for you too, so here's my 2 cents.. I use 2 Kessil A150W LEDs over my 55 gallon and I love love love them! You would only need one and they are pendant style so they wouldn't be too big for your tank size, and you can either buy the gooseneck clip or incorporate them into a canopy (idk what your set up is). Each one was about $225. Now these AREN'T dimmable (the 350 model is but it's ~$400), but that wasn't a huge concern to me. Good luck!!

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Two dimmable PAR38's w/ clip-on goosenecks . Many manufacturers to look at. Google is your friend.

EDIT: A sponsor posted this today.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

2-3 LEDtric PAR38's
    DIY (LEDgroupbuy, Rapidled, and Stevesleds are great, I know someone that may make an Evil Cluster or 2 for you.)
    1 Kessil would cover half the tank, plus IMO, PAR38 bulbs are better.

8. Click Here!

9. eddie2OOO

I thank everyone for your input. To be honest with you, i am not good at building electronics so unfortunately that option wont work for me. I looked at Kessil and similar lights but as 0reef pointed out the fact that the tank is 36 inches long, and i am thinking that portion of the tank will not be well lit and a large portion of light will be around the tank. I also looked at a possibility of getting a pair of PAR38s (i am thinking it about)

What you think about a used AquaticLife Expandable Marine 1W LED Fixture - 54W - 36 in. for $125? I might pick this unit up this weekend. What do you think about this option? My concern for this unit is its intensity, it is 54 1W leds, i think it might be a bit too strong. Do you think i can solve this by maybe positioning it a bit higher?

10. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

How about a reefbreeders or evergrow unit? You could get away with a value fixture or even a photon 16 if you want full control. And if you want complete coverage i would go with a photon 24

11. jr.renzo

jr.renzo Plankton

The 160W-27 inch Maxspect Razor is perfect for your 36" tank.

JR

12. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

I hate this tank !! sorry OP, but what an insane idea from a company !! To make a 36 inch long 24 gallon tank !!

Just silly