PLEASE help, starving leopard wrasse

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by King, May 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. King

King Astrea Snail

Recently I picked up two very uncommon fish from my LFS, a royal pencil wrasse and a female leopard wrasse, both were eating frozen mysis at the store and the royal pencil wrasse eats like a pig and is doing great * knock on wood * :pbut my poor leopard has eaten anthing, ( I've had both fish for nearly 2 weeks now ). I've tried everything, frozen mysis, frozen brine, live brine, cyclopeez etc. and she doesn't eat any of it:-/ she looks very healthy, not skinny at all and seems to pick at the rocks here and there but other than that NOTHING, none of my other fish are intimidating her and again, she was eating the exact same brand of frozen mysis at the store :confused:
    Please help, im pretty much at a dead end and seriously starting to worry about this fish....thank you everybody.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Has the wrasse been swimming around, or hiding in the gravel? What type of substrate do you have?

4. King

King Astrea Snail

I have a 4 inch deep sand bed and she comes around at around 9 AM then disappears and then she comes back out at around 12PM and stays out until around 5 PM, but when she is out she is active and presumingly healthy, besides her refusal to eat

5. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

1st, what species of leopard is she? Ornate, Bipartitus, Melagris, Negrosensis, geoffroyi? Live Brine is your only hope when these fish are not eating. For an extremely expensive route you can also get pods from the LFS and seed the tank temporarily. Really live brine is significantly more likely to help. See if the LFS has some and get it in her ASAP.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Ours was a freak for live black worms.

7. King

King Astrea Snail

Ill have to try it, I'm desperate at this point:help:

8. Click Here!

9. GSUBiology

GSUBiology Feather Duster

I would send a message to Evolved. HE IS the Wrasse expert :p

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ Atticus covered this pretty well already. :)

But if the health of the fish is good and if it's maintaining it's weight, I wouldn't be overly concerned. It seems like its finding plenty to eat in your tank on it's own right now.

Besides the suggestions which were stated (live brine, black worms), you might want to give blood worms a shot as well. Those 3 foods are usually the best to get a leopard eating prepared foods.

11. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

:p Thanks Hunter. Reason I asked species is because certain species of leopards will not touch larger prepared foods, such as the live black/blood worms suggested. Brine at least (while not very nutritional, at least it is something) will be accepted by all of them.

12. King

King Astrea Snail

would freeze dried blood worms work well? I dont believe that either of my LFS carry live BWs:-/. Thanks for all the help :)