Please help me, salt doesn't seem to be dissolving.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by baugherb, Jun 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I mixed all my water in a 32 gal garbage can that was clean before i startec to mix.. my tank seems to be clearing, i have a collection of little pebble like thing hovering in one spot, i am going to suck them up witn a turkey baster later....

2. Click Here!

3. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

When i do a water change i add my RO/DI water to a food grade bucket, add the appropriate amount of salt (count the cups of salt you add then you get a rough idea of how many next time) drop in a spare heater and a powerhead and leave overnight to mix.
    Next day test SG and add more salt if needed or dilute slightly with more RO/DI water,
    I find this is the best way to get it mixed properly.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Tank is clearing up. Thanks everyone for your help...

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's absolutely true, they aren't BSing you. If the local concentration of your salt mix (which has calcium and carbonates in it) ends up being too high, like when you dump in 5 cups of salt at once to the water, the calcium and the carbonate/bicarbonate from the salt mix will react to form some calcium carbonate, which will fall to the bottom.

Calcium carbonate is what aragonite sand, limestone (live and base rock), and coral skeletons are made of. So, you basically have sand on the bottom of your tank.

This is why people advocate for mixing in the salt slowly instead of dumping in the whole thing at once.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Thanks for the help. Makes sense now. The funny thing is my mexican turbos are clearing off the white left overs.. Works for me... Thanks for your help..