Please help me, salt doesn't seem to be dissolving.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by baugherb, Jun 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Agreed.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

which brand salt is it Baugherb?

if its Red Sea, then you do get some fine grain sand in the buckets, as this is real salt extracted from the sea and small particles do get through

other salts, use clays in the processing and fines from the clay get through

credit Inwall75 for my knowing the above about the clay

Steve

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

its instant ocean....

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Are you sure you can attribute it to salt, Greg? Do the granules appear only after water changes? Tank organisms break stuff down, like LR, over time, and this could be the cause.

In my mind it would depend upon when this happens, if it's full time, or seems to be precipitated by certain events.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Are you using RO water? If I use tap water in my area, i have problems with calcium deposits.

7. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

my tank is also BB and when i mixed my salt for the first time in the empty tank i also got about a teaspoon of what has to be sand left over from the mix, it would not break down.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

i ve used the same water 2 set up all of my tanks. it may be just left over particles. Reefsparky it was a new setup, so i dont have much 2 go on..

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I just talked to istant ocean and they said if I added salt too fast while mixing it that some of it won't dissolve.. So they say.. I don't know, I'm going to let everything settle and go from there. Just frustrating having my first decent size tank and having issues like this..

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Welcome to the club...? ;D

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

As Steve mentioned regarding Curt's info about salt mixes, some salts will have clay and other impurities in tiny amounts. FWIW, I use Coralife salt, and don't have these issues.

I suppose a workaround would be to mix your salt water outside the tank, allow it to sit, covered for an hour or so to allow all sediment to fall to the bottom; and pour off water from the top. Kind of a PITA, but it would solve your problem IF the source of the grains are your salt mix.

EDIT:

I neglected to mention, of course this would apply to future water changes. As for the existing granules in the DT, you'd have to remove them manually.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    1 person likes this.