Please, Help Me Identify this Nuisance Algae.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ClassicalPunk321, Jun 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassicalPunk321

ClassicalPunk321 Plankton

When we first got live rock, my Dad wanted to get pieces of rock with this great algae on it. He thought it would add so much color to the tank. I couldn't have disagreed more. Long story short, he had the power of the purse.

So, we have this algae that has taken over our tank numerous times and we've tried many different ways to get rid of it, physically removing and scrubbing the rock, trying to just keep up with it, adding sea hares, using blue hermits, considering starting over, and we are soon going to buy one of the algae attack packs from Drs. Foster & Smith.

To be frankly honest, the tank has been neglected due to my absence, as I was away at school for a semester, but I am now home and ready to invest time into the tank. This algae is my arch nemesis and I just want to see it gone. Please, help me to at least know what I am up against. I have seen it labeled as hair algae and also as Bryopsis so I am very confused.

Thanks for any help offered,
    -Rob

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like regular green hair algae to me. What are your phosphate, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels at?

4. ClassicalPunk321

That's one of my problems, I don't have the test kits, they all expired. I will invest in new ones :p. But, the alkalinity is 1.021 and my calcium has always been a bit high.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

1.021 in kh or dkh? You definitely need to test your water. The only way you're going to get rid of that algae is to rid yourself of phosphates and keep your alk/mag/calcium levels where they belong. Are you using r.o. water in the tank?

6. ClassicalPunk321

DI water, and I do apologize for the alkalinity reading, I put specific gravity, I need to buy that test as well. We really are doing this on a budget so, anything that was never considered absolutely necessary in the 3 books we have on the hobby, we didn't buy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. ClassicalPunk321

I understand what must be done in terms of water quality, believe me I do.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Will your local fish store test your water for you if you bring them a sample? Could save you the trouble and expense of buying your own test kits if they do.

10. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Hey, im near allentown! Glad to have another PA aquarist to talk to! What store do you got to? Ever been to something fishy? Check your phosphates, Nitrates, and tell us how old your bulbs in your lights are and we can help you more!

11. ClassicalPunk321

I used to go to Miller's Reef in Bloomsburg, but since they've closed, I find that the Pet Zone in Pittston to be the best around. Like I said though, the tank needs major attention. I will try to get some water to a pet shop that will test everything and get the readings back to you.

Thanks for the help.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You might just want to throw the books away:p!! Just IMO...

Definitely looks like GHA, mexican turbo snails are supposed to work great on it, maybe a sally lightfoot crab? But water param. are the best way to fight this problem!!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.