Please help me ID anemone

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Peredhil, Sep 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

this is mine

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

In a different thread someone mentioned Caring for these beautiful creatures - In living color with more pictures then you will find anywhere

So I went there and asked her. Very nice person.

I sent her several pics and she had this to say:

Hi Jason, what you have is a rock, or flower anemone, they don't get big but they do multiply by splitting.
    So you may get more over time.
    It looks very healthy and needs cool water to split.
    So keep your tank at around 78 and it will do great.
    Karen

So, as far as I am concerned, it's a "flower anemone" (because that sounds better than "rock anemone" to me).

I keep my tank at 80 (or close to). They haven't split (yet). I really like them.

If they split, I'll trade them to anyone interested. Three is enough for me.

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Great. I'm glad you didnt kill it then. I appologize. I didnt realize there was another person trying to ID their anemone on your thread. I trust Karens opinion. She is the one that has the amazing website on anemones right? If so, she helped me ID some majestic anemones I have. I am glad the quest is finished.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

1 person likes this.
  6. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

I agree but the "not so bright" version

Good links...

That is along the same path but from Europe, his came form the gulf and you'd have to find their demography.

Aptasia do move, they come in a array of shapes and sizes, they're all from anenome family... just which ones "safe" for your tank?

It looks like Manjano Cindarian but not the common ones you see. There are plenty of aptasia that don't look like the long whip tenticle ones (for instance Manjono look like baby anenomes). Even a tube anenome you really wouldn't want in a reef tank but some do have it.

Your gulf creature is from the aptasia family. I've had them from the only guy who owns acres in the gulf and sells in Tampa Bay legally.

You can keep them if you want but if they were in my system, It'd calc paste them.

Good luck!