Please help me ID anemone

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Peredhil, Sep 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The anemone came out of the Gulf of Mexico. I *really* thought I said that in the original post - my mistake.

I have three of them. This one and the one you can barely see behind it are identical. I have a third that is more red, but otherwise identical.

As an interesting tidbit - the pose is typical. However, today I fed it my dead damsel and ever since then it's still been open like this, but it stopped having a "tube" from the rock - more flush now, but still open.

The damsel was fun - after one anemone would finish and let it go, I'd move the fish to the next one (a few hours). The fish is almost gone after one day (I got the idea because this morning one of them already had the damsel (that died yesterday and I left in the tank as food)).

If I leave the flash on, you just see white from the tank reflection - I'm open to suggestions on taking that kind of picture.

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Don't look straight into the tank with the flash. Do the same shot but angle it a little so the flash isn't hitting the glass straight on!

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It moved! Now it's in a hole in a rock and all I can see is the top. Silly anemone. It did that on purpose - I'm sure of it!!! :p

I'm redirecting flow - there's another one I want to move (it's on the substrate and I want it on the rock) - maybe I can get it to move somewhere easier to see.

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

heres a Golden Rose Anemone, im still thinking its in this family.

[​IMG]

6. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a few of those as well. Mine are on a 1/4 inch trunk. Okay, I just saw the pic above! that's what I got! If I get a shrimp will he eat it? Is it good to have these?

7. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

I have 4 off the same in my tank and they only come out at night, they look like a round white button durring the day. Your picture is very good as i stuggled to get a good picture off mine! no one could id mine either,
    K

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would concur with your description.

Where did you get them? Mine came out of the Gulf of Mexico.

10. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

I have no idea where the live rock came from but i could find out tomorrow! The Id object came on my live rock and at first i didnt think it was anything but after two weeks they all came to life in the night. Would love to find out what they are! My live rock seems to be of a very good quality thou.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Just FYI - I do feed them. If something dies, I wait till it opens and then using long tongs, give it to the anemone. I've fed them a fish in this way (dead damsel). I also feed them raw shrimp. Once a month. Not knowing exactly what it is, it's hard to find out what to do...

They do not bother my peppermint or skunk shrimp.

One of mine is pink and two are purple.

Interesting detail - they came along (long story short) with my LR and survived the cycle. In hindsight, that wasn't a good idea... but it went OK.

12. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So, how about this one? Sorry the pic is not so hot, I took it by shoving the camera behind the tank, which is against a wall!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008