Please Help Identifying this marks.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Supernova26, Dec 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Supernova26

Supernova26 Astrea Snail

Hello reefers!
    First I like to thank all of you for this great forum. I am new to saltwater tanks but I have been reading this forum for quite a while and I have gain lots of useful information. 5 months ago I started a 90 gallon saltwater as my first big saltwater tank. I had a 29 biocube for about a year before that. So my tank specs are

90 Gallon DT with 30 gallon sump.
    Turboflotor Multi protein skimmer, BRS carbon and gfo reactor.
    TEK 8 bulb T5HO fixture
    Alkalinity 9
    Calcium 430
    I dose BRS 2 part about 30 ml each day. feeding 3 times a week.
    Amonia and Nitrite are 0.

I have misbar clown, clown goby, six line wrasse, 2 peppermint shrimp, cleaning crew and the very new addition a juvenile atlantic blue tang. Which bring me to my issue.

The tang has been there for about 4 days. It started to show some markings on the body and head area. The markings are spreading. It approaches the peppermint shrimp and begs for a good cleaning but the shrimp does not get it. I will be purchasing a cleaner shrimp this weekend. The tang is active and is eating some. All other fish are healthy. Please look at the pictures and let me know if you have any idea what kind of disease the tang has :-[. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

looks to me to be HLLE

it will go away when the fish becomes less stressed. in the meantime you can increase the vitamin C in its diet to help

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look like Laterial Line Disease to me as well.

Providing a diet high in marine algaes and making sure the water conditions are very good will probably help the most.

If left untreated the lesions will become larger and deeper and take much longer to treat. Best to start enhancing the diet now and try some Selcon or equivalent.

5. Supernova26

Supernova26 Astrea Snail

Thanks a lot guys. I have been feeding a diet in high vegetable matter. I also put dried seweed in the tank. I will monitor it closely.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

that was what i was going to recommend....selcon and frequent nori/algea clips. Beautiful fish!

7. Supernova26

Supernova26 Astrea Snail

How long do you guys leave the nori in there? I got the green dried nori not the baked one, but when it goes in the tank it turns a reddish color? Is that a special kind of nori I need to be looking for?

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i leave it in for the day! If (which usually doesnt happen) they dont eat it by the time the lights go out i remove it.

I usually buy the nori from the grocery store but any of them they like will be fine...they just like to graze ALL the time