Please help I.D.

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by SJR, Aug 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

OMG! I just spent 2 days :-/ trying to figure out how to upload pics so hopefully someone can I.D. this for me. Sorry, just a little comput illit!! ::) I hope the attachments come through so they can be seen. My son was looking into the aquarium after we had turned out the lights and saw this emerging from a hole in LR. It will not stay out when you turn the lights on, I took the "blue" colored pic quickly after we turned on our actinic. We have never noticed it before and don't know how long it has been in our aquarium. The LR has been in there for a few years so I don't think it is a hitch-hiker. If the pics don't come through, can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong! :(
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Been losing any corals? Looks like a eunicid worm. They can get up several feet in length. Have to break down the tank to get it out.

The Great Worm Incident

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like a peanut worm to me. If it is, they're nothing to worry about :) I certainly hope it's not a Eunicid worm like what is shown in the link from geeky.

5. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

thank you for your responses. As I was having trouble uploading pics we have been watching this thing for a couple nights. We have not seen it come completely out of its hole and corals seem to be okay. The corals I have, have been in the tank for awhile. I do have a couple pieces of Figi LR purchased at the initial setup of the tank 4 years ago. Is there any way to tell the difference between a peanut and eunice worm? this one seems to come from inside itself when it emerges then retracts the same way, not like actually pushing up then back in if that makes sense! And it doesn't really look segmented like the eunice worm.

6. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

OOps, Eunicid worm, sorry.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

peanuts are not very big, a few inches at most. Eunicids can be huge.

8. Click Here!

9. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Well then I am hoping this is a peanut worm as it is not very big at all, maybe 1/2 inch, what we can see, but will definatley keep a watch on it.
    Thanks so much

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

its looks a lot bigger in the pic. It looks like a few inches are sticking out of a whole.

11. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Yeah, pics can be decieving but its only out no more than an inch and its brown in color, just comes out and sits there unless something scares it then it retracts back in the hole and only comes out when the lights are out.

12. scubafan

scubafan Plankton

I have one to, just like the one in your pic.