Please help fast

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by franka12404, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

I have a established aquarium and it has recently went downhill it started turning milkish white and now fish are dieing... I tested for everything no amonia no nitrite and less than 10ppm nitrate.... The ph is a little high could that have anything to do with it my fish have no visable alement but are dieing a few a day its a 55 gal planted with a emporer 400 filter thanks in advance for any help...

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, PH can cause an issue. What was a high reading?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

When was the last time you changed the filters? Do you have kids? How high is the PH? Is this a FW or a SW tank? Luna

5. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

my test kit only goes to 7.6 and it turned that color right away so its higher than that...... I changed the filters after it started doing this and it did not improve it. Its a fresh water tank I also have a small salt water but thats doing fine..... I have done a few water changes with no help as well...

6. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

I remember a clue as to what it may be I used a scrubber on my salt water aquariums glass to get some algae off and then used it in my fresh water any chance that could have somthing to do with it ...... Thanks in advance

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I would continue with at least 20% water changes until the PH comes back in range and the water clarity improves... while conditions are upset, it may be worth while to clean your filter system daily as part of the water change process.

I would expect that the small amount of water transfer that could occur with a class scrubber would have very little effect in a 55g fresh water system.

8. Click Here!

9. vanpyre

vanpyre Flamingo Tongue

see with fresh water, cleanig the filter regularly is BAD!!
    do you use buffers??

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

You are actually supposed to add a little salt to your freshwater tank it is good for their fins and coloration. In my Koi pond I maintain a .01 level. So that being said I don't think the scrubber(magnetic scrubber?)has anything to do with it. The little amount of salt carrier over one that would be minimal.

Beside nitrite, nitrate you should also check for Hardness and ALK. PH 7.5 is ideal 8.0 to 8.5 is acceptable anything going above that could be a problem. I kept freshwater for year and never saw water milky white. Has you town done anything to the water you are using. Sometimes towns add fluoride.

And as Luna said when was your last filter change, carbon etc..

What types of fish do you have?