Please don't make me do it!!

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by LSBoogie, Jun 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LSBoogie

LSBoogie Plankton

Hi all, new guy here, quick bio: I'm old, fat, bald, married with three financial destoryers and generally lazy...I will get out of my chair for a twinkie but it damn well better be a fresh one. ;D

Anyways, quick couple questions if you don't mind.

I am setting up a 125g fresh water tank for a motoro ray (using a 29 gallon sump). These rays require nitrates to be kept under check so I was toying with the idea of putting in some live plants to assist with this. Now, this is where i get lost, i see alot of you with co2 set ups and what nots and I am really just looking for live plants to assist with the nitrates, not looking for the rare and bizzare plants (although, through my research i have found quite a few nice looking tanks---maybe for the spare 55g).

What plants would you reccommend to fit the specific criteria listed: Must live in sand (and be able to have a somewhat firm hold), does not require co2 injection or much maintenance, will grow up and not out, will thrive with just t5 lighting?

I appreciate any help you can give me (i have searched but can't seem to find a species that fits my needs, maybe my needs/wants are out of line, not sure).

I have 4 brand new bags of plastic plants waiting to be opened, please don't make me do it. You input will help save yet another aquarium to be lost to the dulls of plastic plants.

Only your advise can save this tank, are you up for the challenge?

TIA,

Mark aka Boogie

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I bought some live plant seeds a couple of years ago at Wal Mart. Yes Wal Mart. They grew like weeds under stock tank lights and no CO2 or anything like that. They did indeed grow up not out and grew just fine in aquarium gravel so Im sure they will go even faster in sand. Not sure if they still carry them but it was only about $5 for 4 seeds so it might be worth running to your local wal mart to check them out.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hey we have a lot in common

straight Vallis always seemed to grow well for me, without much in the way of technology

they have a great root stucture and in sand will anchor firmly
    they grow up, but they spread quiclky, putting out runners and baby planlets grow from them - easy enough to prune weekly IME

Steve

5. LSBoogie

LSBoogie Plankton

I like the wal mart idea. I haven't purchased the t5 lighting yet so that would definately be a plus!

6. HolyK

HolyK Plankton

Another advocate for Wal-mart plants. Been one week, and out of five bulbs, I've seen three start to sprout; one has six shoots, all over 3" by this point. They were Aponogeton, and less than $2. Totally worth it. Even came with an "If it doesn't grow, send it back for a replacement" guarantee.

7. blibo

blibo Astrea Snail

I suggest constant water change to lower your nitrate level. Even with plants you'll still have to change your water AND add nutrients like iron and other trace elements depending on the plant. One type of plant I do recommend are floating plants because they require the least attention from my personal experience. Get yourself a hanging light fixture if you decide to follow this route. The best freshwater plant to absorb nitrate is water hyacinth, but they require good lighting. Water hyacinth are also found in the same environment motoro ray live in the wild

8. Click Here!

9. Dirtdawg57

Dirtdawg57 Plankton

Does anyone do anything special to make those walmart or petco bulbs grow? I have bought about 3 or 4 packs of them and so far I haven't had even one grow. I have done everything I know to help them. I tried partially planting them in the gravel, burying them deep in the gravel, letting them float so they could grow roots first, and it seemed like a white fungus was killing them before they had the chance to sprout and they smelled horrible when I took them out. So now I decided to try to get them to sprout in a small glass of bottled water hoping that they wouldn't be exposed to the fungus and I even change the water every day but its starting to look like they are dying agian. Any ideas?