Platygyra - maze coral - turning white

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by cj5_dude, Sep 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

Hello fellow 3Reefers. I got a platygyra maybe a month or so ago. It has brown raised edges and green in the valley's. My tank is a 12 gallon JBJ cube with Steve's LED lighting.

Since I've gotten it the brown raised edges have turned white and I'm a little concerned. The green is just as green as ever. I don't see any recession in tissue at all.

Is my lighting bleaching it out? The coral still looks and acts great otherwise. I turned the lighting down a little when I noticed this. If it was the lighting, will it come back around?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Place the coral low as you can, the light is bleaching it. It needs to be acclimated slowly. Algagen makes a product called phyco pure. Its zooxanthelle algae and helps color things back up.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It may be just returning to its natural coloration.Sometimes corals will brown out under certain lighting. Can you take a picture of it??

5. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

Here's the coral when I first got it......
    [​IMG]

Here's the coral now.....
    [​IMG]

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

Ok, that was my concern. I've turned the lighting down quite a bit. With these new LED's I'm just not sure where the sweet spot in lighting is. I don't want to do too little, but clearly don't want to do too much either.

How do I know what's the right lighting and what's too much before my corals are damaged?

And then most importantly, will this recover on its own with the lighting turned down?