Plastic frag plugs...anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by kookie_guy, Dec 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

Anyone have any experience with these frag plugs?

ProductData

Positive/negative comments/feedback?

thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I have not, but those are pretty spiffy looking! Good luck on finding someone! +k for the neat find!

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have one piece of SPS that came on one very similar to this. since the corals flesh grew onto it I didnt pop it off the base (as is my normal practice).

I found it very hard to place - I ended up cutting the bottom off the plug and using a lot of epoxy... I am also noticing it's not getting coralline on it... maybe it will eventually (I assume it will) but my stony type plugs start to look natural pretty quick.

I have another frag plug that's a clear plastic. that one I like a lot. it's almost invisible.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have not used them but I did buy some frags on them, and for me they were a pita to remove the frag and glue it to lr. I dont care much for frag plugs anyway, I always glue to lr but these are hard to remove anything from as it generally grows down into the plug. The zoas I bought were really difficult to remove.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

We use these plugs at the pet shop. Coraline algae will attach to them over time and the corals will also cover over the plastic gray plug.
    The design on the bottom part is kind of difficult to secure to live rock due to the style and size, but works perfectly for us when we frag and set up on eggcrate.
    These are ideal for species of acropora, pocillipora, seriatopora, stylophora especially, though not very good for plate corals.
    Using small pieces of live rock is a great alternative to plugs with a little creativity and time, plus is more realistic!!!

7. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

Right now I use pieces of live rock for fragging and then I sell the frags back to the LFS. I'm running out of pieces, lol. I may just tell them to give me some rubble to use.

These do look great, but I can see how they would be a pain to attach to rock. If you are the fragger, these are great. If you are the fraggee (lol) then not so great.