Plasmalyte Brings LEP to Aquariums

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Plasmalyte Aquatic Light System lit up a few faces at MACNA and just about everything else near it. This is a powerful plasma-powered (LEP) aquarium light. It seems for every 1000 LED discussions, someone brings up plasma and we find out the efforts have not paid off yet - the tech is not there. Well the funny thing about the Plasmalyte is that it has been out there in the horticultural world for 4 years. Details below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Plasmalyte was over a very tall aquarium at MACNA. It was obvious that it had no problem getting light to the bottom of it. Apparently I just missed someone with a PAR meter there and they pulled 297 at sand level I was told.

This particular Plasmalyte was supplemented by Reefbrite LEDs in the 400nm range. These LEDs did a good job blending the light into the crisp white/blue spectrum we tend to like. I did note that when the dimmable Plasmalyte was turned all the way up, the light was a bit yellow from overpowering the ReefBrites. However, just a touch down from full power seemed ideal with crisp white/blue. I don't think corals will mind. This light is sunglasses-only intense.

It is an interesting give and take with the Plasmalyte..

+ power of halide at half the heat - my hand underneath was merely warm
    + life of an LED at 30,000 hours for the Plasmalyte. (A 50,000 hour model is in the works.)

- LED fixture may get edge in power consumption. The Plasmalyte runs 280W @ 120V.
    + LEP bulbs are not hazardous waste like halides
    - Plasmalyte is heavy at 18 lbs and bulky
    - expensive @ $1200 / but this is less than two Radions no? Possible coin-toss.

Plasmalyte Specs:

Length: 16.1 in
    Width: 11.3 in
    Height: 6.8 in
    Weight: 18 lbs.
    Operating Temp: -40C to 40C
    Rated Average Life: 30,000 hours
    Source Lumens: 17,500
    Fixture Lumens: 16,000
    Voltage: 100V - 277V (347V - 480V available)
    Typical Turn on Time: 40 seconds
    CCT: 5,600K - 20,000K
    CRI: 95
    Dimming Range: 20 - 100%
    Nominal AC Power @: 280W @ 120V
    CSA: Approved
    Manufactured: USA

[​IMG]
    Plasmalytes over an aquarium in the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Plasmalytes have been growing serious vegetables for some time now.

Without the ReefBrite supplementation, the Plasmalyte has a yellow spectrum that reminds me of my old Iwasaki 6500k halide bulb. I am not putting this as a negative solely because I have never had corals grow as fast since I had that bulb. Just sayin'.

LEP aquarium lights are here and should continue to evolve. I think some will gravitate toward it for its long life, intense halide-like output and low-heat. The Plasmalyte is an interesting option available now.

Plasmalyte Web site:
    Plasmalyte
    ReefBrite.com | Creators of high-tech lighting for the Aquaria Industry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Interesting, nice Matt.

LED's have the momentum of a train right now so it looks like it may uphill battle for LEP.

But they have a fighting chance if the heat is low and the bulbs prove to retain effectiveness over time.

An angle against them is people seem to be gravitating towards "sexy" new hardware.

Trying to hang a 18# bulky fixture over a beautiful rimless tank will not be an option for many folks that have the money to burn.

It will be interesting to see the evoultion of this technology as time goes on.

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks. Agreed. Aesthetics were probably not much as a concern in the horticultural world. It should smooth out I would think. Check out the PDF for current mounting recommendations.

matt

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Was waiting for this to pop up here :)
    I was excited when I saw it... still am!

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It was quite yellow. But if the spectrum is tweaked on these, look out.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

With popularity I think there will be some re-engineering. I remember the halide i got 8-9 years ago was really bulky and ugly too, meant for horticulture.