plasma lighting

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Dingo, Aug 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

That is pretty cool, I was wondering how the color adjusted! Actually, as far as I can see, the lower powers have all the spikes. I would like to get even more info, I will look into it more!

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

only thing that bothers me is that drop off right after 450nm... would really like to see that one fixed and they would be just amazing!

By adding an element that burns blue they will also be increasing the K at 100%. Put that in there and it will get that K from 5300CCT up to about 6000-6500CCT and it will be rocking. :D

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

This is just silly. EVERYONE know LED are the perfect fixture and future of reef lighting. Plasma will never live up to the hype, its going to fall short just like metal halides.

5. Reef Breeders

Form the spectal graph, it looks good... at 10-15% power. SO yes, they are good at low power. At high power, they are not practical. No, LEDs will not be a thing of the past, yes, plasma might become part of the reef lighting industry.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

But but but... I have big fancy graphs :(

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Oh Logan.... you see Trent and I have a friendly history of ribbing. Sorry you got caught by an inside joke! They have made alot of progress over the last few years. In all seriousness from 2010 those graphs look really promising!

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

LOL, I love the reef lighting tech though, LED or not. I better learn how to build a plasma fixture too, LOL.

10. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

plasma...shmazma!! they do heave potential, but are outrageously expensive. Lets just say that i live in an area that sees its fair share of lighting...and plasma are not really taking off. theyve been around for a couple years and the price has come down, but still pricey. sticking with my MHs and T5s for now. im contemplating the switch to LEDs...maybe ill just skip em and go straight to plasmas!! lol

11. Reef Breeders

Well, I did some research. Plasma can get about 170 lumens per watt. Cree just made a diode that gets 170 lumens per watt. Experimental, but still done. Next step is even more lumens per watt. Sorry plasma, but if it doesn't become available soon, at a similar price to LEDs, it will not be the best light out there.

12. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

^^^What he said!