Plants in the tank and pic help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Wendy, Dec 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Is it ok to keep plants in the tank? I have some, and they are growing very well. Would upload a pic, but none of my pics post. (plenty of operator error.) Can someone please talk me thru this? (#&$!*) :confused:
    No laughing please....
    Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

first off, what kind of plants are these? mangroves? or...uh like a pine tree lol...

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Wendy, I think the general consensus is... There is nothing wrong with Macro Algae in the main display tank. It really depends on what you perceive as nice looking to your eyes. ( beauty in the eye of the beholder thing ) Some possible drawbacks to keeping it in the main tank
    1.) It might take hold and over run it. Small possibility??
    2.) Some types release spores and cloud up the water ( grape caleurpa I think)
    3.) It is toxic to most fish (Caleurpa) although I think they know this and don't try to eat it :)

Anyone else have any Ideas???...........

Now as far as trying to post a picture..Under the advanced options there is a heading labeled "attach files" and under that is a clickable button "manage attachments" That pops up a seperate window where you can can browse for the pictures on your computer to upload them. There are file size limitations for your pictures. A .jpg file can not be larger than 97.7kb or it will not allow you to upload it. If you're like me and take pictures from your camera at the maximum resolution you have to use another program that will scale them down so they can be uploaded to the 3Reef server.
    I use microsoft office picture manager, But it is a pain because when you try to compress the image it doesn't have a scalable compression. It just picks something out of the air and usually it's a couple of kilobytes too big to upload. I haven't tried anything else yet. I used to use photodeluxe home edition but it's been acting up lately (bummer) Hope this helped :worried:

Jim

Attached Files:

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I also feel that this thread should NOT be in the bucket. Is there a moderator who agrees with me and will move it. :eek:
    Jim

6. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info. I'll play with pics later, and try and scale them down. When it comes to using programs, I get stupid. Give me plugs and wires and I'm all set. (figure that one out?)

I do believe they are baby mangroves. I like the look of plants in the tank.

I'm ok with keeping this in the bucket.;D

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Agreed. I have moved this thread to the "Algae" section of the forum.

8. Click Here!

9. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mangroves?

Wendy
    A picture is worth......well, never mind. I seriously doubt that what you have are mangroves. The leaves of mangroves cannot survive in water for very long, and generally one cannot have a "baby" mangrove because they generally are not started from seed and thus are not very small.
    Attached are pics of my 90 and 75 fuge and mangroves. I grow the caulerpa in the 75 to remove nitrates, then put it in the 90. My yellow tang and foxface appreciate my meager attempts at a salad bar, and polish it off in several days. The mangroves do similar duty, but do not suffer a similar fate. So, yes, you can put macro algaes in your tanks, unless you have a gluttonous herbivore or omnivore.;D

Attached Files: