Planted tank lighting question.

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by norg., Jun 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

In terms of intensity, it would probably be ok (although I know nothing of this particular brand). One potential issue, though, is whether this light is meant to be used over water. If it gets some splash on it, how will that affect things? Does it have waterproof endcaps?

If you are uncertain, you could still get this light and just hang it high over the tank so there is no chance of splashing. Or you could buy a light designed for aquarium use.

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Bump guys?

I dont know very much about t5s, but I would like to decide on which fixture today so I can order and have it by the weekend.

6. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

a 6 bulb fixture is a bit too wide for a standard 55g tank. A 4-bulb fixture would fit your tank much better, if you can find one. Just my opinion, though.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Okay. I think Ill jump on the four bulb fixture. Thanks. Anyone other opinions or ideas?

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

appears to have no acrylic shield to prevent water/splashing/salt buildup from evap...

appears to have no 'fans' for keeping the ballast and lighting cool. you get better PAR output when the system is kept at a reasonable operating temperature.

"growers" generally have alot of air flow in their greenery so they may have not put the fans in there because of that logic? i dont know, but it'd be something id be concerned about.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I do have a fan or two that I could use for cooling purposes. Hmm... Ill keep thinking about it I guess.