planted tank cuc

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by 1.0reef, Apr 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

what do you guys think would be a good cuc in my 5.5 gallon planted tank? i have a big snail!

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

CUC for a FW planted tank? I've never used a CUC with a FW planted tank. Sometimes snails hitchhike in on plants, but IMO they are a pest rather than a CUC.

The plants in a planted tank should be able to out compete algae, unless there is an abundance of nutrients or the plants are all slow growers. I've had good luck adding plants like Amazon Swords to out compete algae. The Amazon swords grow fast and shed their old algae covered leaves.

Edit: I forgot about Oto Cats :). I've kept a few, but haven't noticed them making a big impact on the amount of algae growth.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Ghost Shrimp!

They are great freshwater aquarium additions... I have 5 in my 5 gallon. If you don't have fish in the tank you will have to feed them (along with the snail). And if you do have fish they will spend the entire day on search and destroy of all leftover food that the fish don't eat.

they are fun to watch, peaceful and very hardy, and oh, did I mention they are cheap? I can get them at the local pet"smart" for $.48 each.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

any other shrimp you can recommend?;D

7. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

When I had my 60g planted tank I found that ghost shrimp really didn't do much for algae. Amano shrimp though are great algae eaters and I had alot of them. I have found most FW snails to just be an annoyance and not helpful.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I have some ghost shrimp and a chinese algae eater. There are cherry shrimp and other shrimp you can get. I need to get a loach eventually for the hitch hiker snails that I have.

10. gabbagabbawill

OH, you want something to eat algae? Yeah, ghost shrimp won't do that. You can get cherry shrimp, but they won't eat algae either. Shrimp are good for eating the leftover food you give your fish, which as you know, if left to rot, will lead to algae because of excess nutrients. So, in a roundabout way, they are helping control algae.

Neither will a "chinese algae eater". It is a myth that they eat algae, they actually eat the slime coat off your other fish, by nipping at them, so I wouldn't recommend these.

In a 5 gallon, there isn't much that you'll find will eat algae because most fish will outgrow that tank by a mile. Best to keep your fish to a minimum, feedings to a minimum, and do plenty of water changes to keep algae from being a concern. Your plants will help with this, as hopefully, they will outcompete the algae. I recommend some plants that will grow well in the tank, and you can always prune these back. Bettas love plant cover, too.

Make sure your plants are "underwater" submersible plants. Some pet stores sell plants for aquariums that should never be fully submersed, which will eventually die off and rot, causing problems like excess nutrients and algae, etc.

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

ok what plants are in your 5 gallon?

12. gabbagabbawill

Dwarf puffer fish will also take care of your snail problem! ;)