Plankton Substitute..?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by omard, Nov 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have been using a food supplement called "MarineSnow" since I first started my tank up as an additive for my invertebrates.

MarineSnowTM Plankton Diet

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/thestore/prods/TLF-SNOW.html

MarineSnowTM Plankton DietTM 473 ml (16 oz.) Net Wt. 475 g - A Natural Planktonic Food for Filter Feeding Marine Invertebrates. This first of its kind product reproduces the special colloidal biogenic suspended matter found in natural seawater. These colloids, collectively called "marine snow" by ocean researchers, are known to be an important element in the food chain of marine ecosystems.

Have since read it may not be best choice and a much better one is DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton

http://www.dtplankton.com/

DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton naturally provides needed nutrition for your reef inhabitants through both direct and indirect feeding with a positive effect on water quality. It provides this nutrition without any additives or preservatives with a unique, concentrated, and cleaned live culture. The combined effects of DT's cannot be duplicated with preserved phytoplankton or any other product

Am planning to try this as soon as initial MarineSnow is gone.

Any input about above? ..or other recommendations?

Rgds,

OmarD

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ive seen a lot of people use marine snow but all i can say is try it and let us know how it works or if anything improves, the only way to find if someting works better is to try it

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Will do...

Am switching to "DT's" when this bottle of MarineSnow used up...will see if any difference.

Omard

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have two mating Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp who provide a good dose of shrimp larvae for my fish and corals every month like clockwork.

Have used DT's as well with good results.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Have been using DT's plankton substitute for couple of weeks now and everything in tank is thriving and "happy"

One thing I have noticed since switching over from "Marine Snow" - I am not now getting a "scummy" buildup on water surface that I used to see regularly when just using it.

[​IMG]

DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton naturally provides needed nutrition for your reef inhabitants through both direct and indirect feeding with a positive effect on water quality. It provides this nutrition without any additives or preservatives with a unique, concentrated, and cleaned live culture. The combined effects of DT's cannot be duplicated with preserved phytoplankton or any other product

I get from CustomAquatic:

$16.99 for 15 oz bottle (can get larger) - they send in refridgerated pack for no extra cost.

Rgds,

OmarD

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great report, and do keep us posted!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I hear a lot of people like the DTs.

Hey if want to be hardcore you can always grow your own Green Water with the real deal alive in it! I've seen some pretty amazing setups... I can dig up some info if you like.

:)

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You have to remember with a phytoplankton you are only feeding filter feeders and some inverts. Not most corals.
    phyto = Plants
    Zoo = Meat

So most corals will eat a Zoo-plankton. Not to discount DT's (I use a similar product twice a week)
    but as the cycle of life goes Phytoplankton feeds Zoo plankton to some degree. I would also feed LPS corals Brine shrimp or Cyclop-eeze. SPS Corals one could use Cyclop-eeze (mine actively eat this) or "Golden Pearl" a anorther good food. Or just rely on regular fish feeding scraps.

Jason

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad you brought up Cyclop-Eeze J, I was going to mention that!

(Good points by the way :) )

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Thanks Man, My fish and Corals go nuts for the stuff. I have the Freeze dried Powder and the flake.

J