Placing tin Foil behind the light bulb helping??

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by HollyG, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a crappy lighting fixture. Only 1 T8 bulb. The T8 bulb is high intensity and a 50/50 but it still isn't that great at all. I only have one coral, a small frag of star polyps that I have placed as high as I could so they can stay closest to the light. I placed some tin foil behind the light to make it more reflective downwords. Was doing that pointless or will it help?

2. Click Here!

3. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I did the same thing for the light in my sump, I figure it may not help a ton but it is more reflective than the inside of the white lamp. Better than nothing I say.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It should help some. Make sure you put the most reflective side out.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

tinfoil is terrible to use, If you want the best reflective material use a white background. tinfoil creates point light and weird angle reflections white, is smooth and even more reflective.

ie if you shine a flash light in a mirror you get a single point source light back. If you shine it on a white wall you are given a much smoother broader spread of the light

6. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I think mythbusters touched on this topic in a recent episode. If I remember correctly they concluded that the best way to light a room with reflected light from an outside source would be to use a white background and not a mirror type finish.

7. djbonney138

I am using the foil to hopefully focus the light in a concentrated area. You guys are saying the dull white insides of the fixture will do this better than the foil? I could see it spreading the light out better like in a room, but it seems like all the reflectors for aquarium lighting are made out of a shiny material and some have that metal bumpy stuff too all in the hopes that it reflects the light downward. Why are there no white reflectors or have I just never seen them?

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

Touche. I suppose that you need to get the light out of the fixture before it goes anywhere. I wonder how a white painted back would do?

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

White works quite well. You could also get some aluminum sheeting from a hardware store, or one of the big box stores. This works well too.

11. djbonney138

I have never seen a white painted back, I bet it would look pretty cool. Everyone always does the dark colors but maybe you have come up with the new big thing!

12. clarkkey594

Hmm when I set up my 90 I may have to try this.