Placing Powerheads

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by VibeAUS, Nov 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VibeAUS

VibeAUS Plankton

Hi All,

Just wondering where the best place to put the powerheads are? (if there is one)

Also, I have a 70g tank and was wonder how many powerheads I would need and what sort of flow rate they should have etc

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

If im not mistaken, i think from 10 to 20 time per hour turnover, you will be just fine... as for powerhead placement it all depends on your rock work. Place them in a way that the water current isnt going in a circle around the tank. Oh and check for dead spots, ive read about using some fishing wire and holding it at different spots in the tank. If the wire doesnt move and stays vertical you got a dead spot so adjust powerhead in consequence.

Marc.

4. billpa

billpa Plankton

Honestly I would shoot for more along the lines of 20-30x turnover at least. Flow IMHO is just as important as lighting. As far as placement...I would put one on each back corner of the tank shooting towards the center of the front panel. You will inevitably have dead spots so you will need to tweak your powerheads or strategically place and additional powerhead(s). Check out the SEIO pumps...they give you pretty good bang for your buck. I'd say two 820s would work pretty well.

Good Luck!
    billpa

5. DaxAlbrecht

DaxAlbrecht Plankton

I have about 30x turnover in my tank. I think it is a good rate. I wouldn't want any less, and I'm sure a little more could only be better.

6. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Welcome

Hi VibeAUS and welcome to the best cheap advice you can get!! :smartass2:

Great advice from all so far. Turnover is important in a reef tank, but you did not mention whether you were going "reef" or fish only. Fish are not nearly so fussy, sensitive nor delicate.
    I can only add that you will find many non-fish reef animals (corals, inverts) finicky about flow. So if you use these comments as a starting point, you will then have to watch your animal additions to ascertain whether they are fussing over your placement! Know your tank, read up on them before purchasing, place accordingly, then adjust.

Happy reefing!!;D

7. Rougie

Rougie Plankton

Hey Vibe another option is to feed your fish with the heads on for a moment and that will give you a good visual on how your tank is moving water around. I have tried it and gives you a good plans as to where to adjust your flow.

8. Click Here!

9. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

10. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

wow this tread is old.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yea you were 10yrs old when it started.. lol jk but really.. geez im getting old..:-[

12. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp