placement of maxima clam

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by t4zalews, Feb 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

This is the clam picture on diver's den, this is the exact same clam I have, I compared the curves and mantle extension.
    Diver's Den:
    [​IMG]
    In my tank:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

See if you can get a hold of them, maybe even send the pics. Yeah, I would be PO'd. IDK how they do their shots or anything, and I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but the liveaquaria pic looks edited to me. Looks way too grainey. Looks to be overexposed with massive contrast adjustments as well.

4. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I'm gunna give it a couple days and see if any color comes back, if not I'm giving them a call. That color is bull****, I dont have 400W halides but seriously, the place I have it is pushing some major PAR values. and, I just replaced my halide bulbs today, the same day as the clam, these are the brightest they will ever be.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, it wouldnt be the brightness or power so much that would effect it, specially since the clam is small and isn't fully photosynthesizing anyways. It would be more of what spectrum the lighting was. And your spectrum choices with your bulbs are good for colors anyways. Are you running 420 or 460 for the actinics? What manufacturer are the bulbs?

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I second that. Picture is definitely edited. I wouldn't be too happy, you may want to contact liveaquaria about the specimen they sent.

7. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

The halides are 150W 14K pheonix, I have 2 460nm and 2 420nm actinic T5's, both made by current. I need to get new actinic bulbs, I think I'm just going to buy 4 420nm lamps, 460's don't really do anything.

It baffles me how ugly this clam is right now, I pray it starts producing some colors or liveaquaria gets it. I don't understand how all my corals are so colorful, including my derasa clams, and then this happens. To see my tank just click on my tank thread. (The clam is located where the Poci combo is, but there is a rock boosting the clam up higher...left side, branch rock.)

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I did check out your other pics earlier. Everything else is definitley healthy and looks good.
    If you do get new T5 bulbs, I highly reccommend going with UVL's.

1 person likes this.
  10. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the UVL recommendation, I look at all the lamps and I have no idea which ones to get, I was just going to get guisemann but they are overpriced I think. I'll be picking up 4 UVL T5 420nm actinic lamps soon.

I'll keep on posting back to show any progress or not. Hopefully I'm back soon with some more colorful pictures.

Thanks for the all this insite packleader

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No problem! And best of luck. This sucks I know. I had it happen with some e-bay corals once. I wasn't entirely displeased but it was still a bummer. Keep us updated, I'd like to know how it turns out either way

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Holy photoshopped freakin pic