Placement of Circulation Pump

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by martyd215, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. martyd215

martyd215 Astrea Snail

So, I've decided to add another circulation pump to my 60 gallon tank (Measures 48" long 13" wide 24" tall). As far as surface agitation goes, I have it in the way of my skimmer's return (325gph), filter's return (400gph), and a power head that is angled slightly towards the surface (180gph.) The skimmer and power head both have venturi pumps so there's added oxygen there. I'm going to add a 1050gph pump tomorrow, and I need a suggestion as to the placement. The only movement from the bottom up is from the filter intake which pulls water from the bottom and releases it at the surface, so I was thinking that a pump at the bottom would be the most advantageous for mixing the areas of low oxygen with areas of high oxygen, but perhaps I'm wrong. I also don't have anything pointing behind any of the rock. I was thinking of having the 750gph pump changed from the front of the rock to the back and placing the 1050 gph to the front at the bottom where I've marked as A on the diagram. If you think B or C (or somewhere else) are better choices, though, please let me know. My goal here is better mixing of oxygen and improved circulation, of course. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Your B position should be fine. You might want to consider setting up a wave timer to help as well. I dislike pumps in the front of a tank since it distracts from the overall reef enjoyment.

You're on the right track - good luck !

4. martyd215

martyd215 Astrea Snail

By the way, I put it in the B position, and it's working great. The second it started up it was like a completely different tank. The water column became, for lack of a better word, an actual column. The water is flowing in a circular direction and the detritus that enjoyed hanging out on places I didn't want it to hang out on stays in the water a lot more often to be skimmed or filtered out! The crabs might be a little disappointed, but don't worry, I'll make sure they get fed if they're looking bummed out.

Thanks a bunch!