placement of baffles in sump

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by skennelly, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I may build a sump/fug sometime soon. How do you know where to place the baffles in the sump? I get alot of micro bubbles in my take that are generated in the sump and if I build a new sump I definitely want to do it right and stop the micro bubbles. From entering the main tank.

Thanks
    Sean

2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

Really surprised nobody has input on this.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. skennelly

So in BL's design the water enter from the main tank then goes through the refug and through the baffles and she also has a sponge stuck in there. Doesn't that still create a water fall effect and place bubble into the return area?

Sean

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

So many different ways to accomplish the same thing!!!

I put the bubble baffles after the input area before the refugium. Then a divider between the refugium and the return pump area. There is a small waterfall effect depending on how often you top off the return area. I get very few bubbles in the display tank because of the bubble baffles after the input area where my skimmer resides. I placed the first baffle to the bottom the second an inch off the bottom the third on the bottom and made them the same height.

Drew

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looking at the links, I understand the diagram better than the pic, the pic has the return pump right under the overflow pipe... I'd have it on the other side.