Pistol Shrimp Problems

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Brent Washburn, Sep 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brent Washburn

Brent Washburn Plankton

So I've had two pistol shrimps in my nano tank (10g) for over three months now. Up until yesterday I only believed that I had one as they hitchhiked on some shells I recovered off my reef in Florida, but yesterday the smaller of the two started acting territorial towards the larger one. The larger one molted right before this happened, which I also find though provoking toward the incident. Now the larger pistol shrimp is hiding from the other up near my filter and I'm worried he won't make it up there long-term. Does anyone have any insight with this situation? Should I cut my losses and trade him in for store credit at my LFS? The species is Alpheus formosus.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A newly molted shrimp will hide until the exoskeleton hardens completely.

It's a small tank, it may not offer enough territory for both. Try adding another rock or changing placement of the rocks. If you see any signs of aggression it's time to rehome one or the other.

Welcome to 3reef. :)

crockett and Billme like this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1^^ to what Corailline said. Pistols can have a pretty large territory (mine has burrows under almost my entire rock structure in a 65 gallon) so your tank may be too small to have two.

Billme likes this.
  5. Brent Washburn

Brent Washburn Plankton

I just don't understand how the two pistol shrimps were living in harmony for over three months and now one has become territorial towards the other. I guess he saw the opportunity after the larger one molted and was less protected. I'll give it a little while to see if he hardens and regains his spunk, I figured I should spot feed him while he is unable to scavenge since he's at the top of my tank and all.

6. oldfishkeeper

sometimes behavior can change among our inhabitants. You're right in that the molt may have sparked the new behavior. You're also right in that it may settle down but beware it may not.

7. Brent Washburn

Brent Washburn Plankton

Well after a little while he just went back in his tunnels under the rock and they seem to be cohabiting fine once again.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

great news! our little ocean creatures have such interesting behaviors!