Pink Tip Anemone Dead? Please help!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Erglor07, Aug 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Erglor07

Erglor07 Plankton

I got it about two and a half weeks ago. All my parameters are good, although I just found out that the calcium is low at 320. Please see the progression of the pictures. It was beautiful at first and now it is an orange glob. Is it dead or is there still hope?? Should I pull it out? It looks like it is "smoking" - like little vapors of something are coming off of it. Is that bad? I have a clownfish too, who has been acting strange the last two months. Bottom picture is most recent, in the last hour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It needs to go, sorry. :(

Looks like it was a Sebae anemone? That calcium level should not adversely affect anything. I do see cyanobacteria growth and algae growth on the sand bed though.

How old is your tank? Sebae are a difficult anemone to start with so if this is a newer system or you started out with a poor specimen than it's not really that surprising.

What type of lighting do you have?

Welcome to 3reef.

4. Erglor07

Erglor07 Plankton

I'm not 100% sure what kind it is, but the pet store called it a pink bubble tip. See the picture below when I first got it, it was beautiful. I started the tank last November. All of the levels have been constant and I even took a sample of water to be tested to the local fish store last night and they said it was "perfect water". They were perplexed too as to why the anemone was deteriorating. About a month ago I had to take a frogspawn out of my tank because it took was deteriorating to the point where it was just a skeleton. I have an LED light that works really well. Is the cyanobacteria a bad thing? Should I do something to remove it? Thanks for your help on this, I'm still quite a newbie.
    [​IMG]

5. Corailline

It's not a bubble tip anemone, but rather a Heteractis malu a very difficult anemone for any beginner.

The best thing you can do if you want to keep anemones and corals long term is get your own test kits and preform your own testing, it's a tad overwhelming at first but with little practice it becomes easy to interpret the results and address any chemistry issue.
    You should remove the anemone post haste/asap.
    LED's are not all created equal, you'll need to provide a brand name, watts.......this will become a common question as you seek assistance.

You'll do better to seek assistance here than at your current fish store as they appear to be more interesting in selling then providing you with guidance.

If you have the funds get a phosphate, nitrate test kits to start with.

What is your water source?
    What is your salt mix?
    What products are you adding to the tank if any?
    What is your SG?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Other parameters to look at would be ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. November places your tank at around 8 months old, so the tank isn't exactly "new."

Though as coralline said; these anemones are typically difficult for newer hobbyists, just because you have LEDs doesn't mean they're suitable for corals.

Also, do a 3reef search how to deal with cyano.

DSC reef and Billme like this.
  7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Don't know that anemone. But my LTA and Condy both go flat from time to time. They get rid of all the water inside and looks dead. Especially my condy. I'll see if I can find a picture to show you.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

You can see the decay and mesenterial filaments, that anemone is dead.

Ballgame likes this.
  10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

oh ok. Pictures arent loading for me.
    That stinks its dead. Sorry for your loss

Corailline likes this.