pink birdsnest

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by adam, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Just got this guy he is about 6 inches under the power head and about 14 inches under the 150 watt MH bulb. Think he is getting too much flow or light?
    Adam

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Birds nest's need high intense lighting with med-high flow. Luna

BTW, congrats on your new addition.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a pretty nice piece. I've been wanting one of those...

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

With it being 6 inches under the koralia 1 is this too much flow? What should I look out for? Is the lighting enough
    Thanks,
    Adam

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know what kind of flow would be 6" under a Koralia, but I can tell you this, if the little tenticles are moving back and forth(not to much) then that should be fine. Luna

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I see very little tentacles so far. The stylophora has longer tentacles I think. I just put the birdsnest in last night. I just dont want the pink to turn white or brown. I put in some cyclopeze, Phyto and some DTs oyster eggs 2 or 3 times a week along with a little frozen food every day for the fish.
    Adam

8. Click Here!

9. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a green birdnest about 4 inches under t5ho 54watts bulbs. I also have two koralia nanos about 5 inches away from it. It grows like crazy too. The polyps should not be too extended. If they are really far out there are not getting enough flow. You should be able to see the actual skeleton of the coral which will have tissue on it, so it won't be white. The base will start to die as it getts bigger because the new branches will block the light from hitting the middle, thats ok and you will see the difference. Check the growth in a month or so. Is this your first sps?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I have a scroll coral. purple montipora and a pink stylophora which the stylophora is under the brace. I posted a pic of him. When the blue leds are on you can see where the shadow is over it. The tips are white where it is not undedr the brace.
    Adam

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Your Green Birdsnest looks like a stylophora like my pink one. It has thicker branches.
    Adam

12. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I was thinking that too. If it is a stylopohora then it needs more flow and more light, then the birdsnest.