Pinched Mantle?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by crazy reef love, Dec 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

My clam has been doing quite swell, unfortunately I noticed today that for some reason it does not expose part of the mantle. The parameters in my tank are all normal, I have had him for a year now. He responds to light very well soon. I think he has pinched mantle but I don't see a tare on the mantle. Lets me know what is the problem.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

mmm could be pinched mantle but cant tell for sure... if your really worried about it then you can put the clam in a freshwater bath for about 30 minutes. This usually remedies PM

The freshwater must be the same pH and temp as the tank water

4. crazy reef love

Ok I'm not gonna jump to conclusions to fast and do the freshwater quite yet, gonna just watch it carefully and see what happens.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well pinched mantle is a bacterial infection and there is only a small window where it can be saved... i think that you have only a few days to do the dip before it is too late

6. crazy reef love

The clam is doing really good, just kept a close eye on it. Where the clam had its mantle sucked in on the end there was a significant tear, but he is recovering and is doing very well. I was scared there for a bit. I didn't wanna loose me clam ;D