pihrana...how are they...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by sweetriden76, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Being illegal just makes the thrill better, right?!?!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

i have an auratus cichlid in my 10 gallon hex, he has it to himself, got him when he was an inch, hes about 4 now and thats only taken a year...I also had a 75 gallon years ago with cichlids and the meanest was my orange pike, not mean twords larger fish or me but feeder goldfish didnt last long...maybe I can get a really small black or gold, grow it and trade it in for something when its to big for the tank...I want something thats scary to reach in the tank with...I would get a monitor lizard but they are capable of too much damage, plus a 4 foot monitor will eat you out of house and home

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I had a savanna monitor when I was younger. Really cool. Had free roam of the house (was housebroken). Got weird around the dogs though ;) And besides, you can get rabbits and rats cheap enough ;D

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Try a Jewel Cichlid!!!!! Beautiful, small, but an attitude that precedes itself.

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Way off topic but since the thread starter has lead us this way I will follow:p I used to have a savannah monitor also, they are really fun and yes, kinda crazy knowing even a baby can snap your finger at any second if they wish! We had a pair of rats (really cheap & we fed them dog food) and would freeze the pinkys for food while it was young. We knew a local herpatologist who had one that was 4 foot long, kept it in a playpen. Last I heard she was going to add onto her basement so the monitor could have a 20x20 room to itself! It ate adult rabbits so I could see how that would get expensive!! This lady would throw it up on her shoulder patting it's head and it would lick her ear. WOW, if that thing wanted to it could have killed her or any of us before we could even scream!!

7. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah, they can do a little too much damage for be to be comfortable handling it. I'm a mechanic so my hands are my income...the LFS also had a gaboon viper, and not one with the venom glands removed either...really pretty snake but once again totally not worth it...I'll look around and just hold off for now, until I come across something small enough and either really cool or really mean... if it wasnt a glass tank I'd consider a clown mantis, but once again the feeding and keeping another salt tank going wouldnt be cheap...

8. Click Here!

9. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I stop in almost daily but with work, a wife, 5 tanks, and two English bulldogs, I don't often reply. Only when I have first hand knowledge or questions (in most cases) do I put in my 2 cents, I would hate to steer someone in the wrong direction.

Dustin

10. Beaker11

Beaker11 Astrea Snail

I used to have red bellies...a black rhombeus and a serrasalmus elongatus piranha and I would highly encourage you to not put 1 baby pir in a 12 gallon tank. Reds like to shoal with eachother and having only one would not be fair to him/her. As far as growth my reds went from dime sized to 8+ inches in less then one year. Get yourself a larger tank and buy at least 3 reds.....Thats my opinion and if someone already stated this I am sorry in advance as I havent read the whole thread.......LOL